Wax Paper “Stained Glass” Suncatcher
An easy wax paper suncatcher craft for kids, this Stained Glass Wax Paper Suncatcher is a great rainy day activity for kids using materials you probably already have at home!
Wax Paper Stained Glass Craft
My daughter is always begging to do crafts.
It’s my own darn fault, but sometimes I just don’t have the time to think of something or set up an elaborate craft… and the last thing I want is to have to pull out the vacuum or spend 10 minutes cleaning up after she’s done.
So I’m so thankful for super simple crafts like this – with just a couple materials I already have on hand, no need for me to help her with tricky steps, no elaborate set-up and no crazy clean-up.
Just pull out the materials, tell them what to do, and let them create! Easy Peasy.
And as a bonus, you get a pretty new piece of artwork on your window. I love the way these simple wax paper suncatchers turned out. They are vibrant and when the sun hits them, the beautiful design and colors gets projected into the room like our own personal rainbow.
If your child would rather make a mermaid suncatcher than an abstract design, you can grab our Mermaid Suncatcher Pattern here.
A word of caution, though: you need to use permanent markers for these suncatchers… so don’t try to do them with kids who are not yet ready to be trusted with them. We tried using some washable markers and they rubbed off and were frustrating to try to control on the wax paper (they blurred outside of the lines).
If your child gets a bit of the permanent marker on their skin, it can be removed with a bit of hand sanitizer… or just take it as a fun opportunity to read Robert Munsch’s Purple, Green, and Yellow (did you see our fun activity based on that book here?)
More Wax Paper Crafts for Kids:
- We used wax paper to make our Pressed Flower Candles
- Toilet Paper Kazoo from Today’s Parent
- Wax Paper Fish Bowl Craft from Life at Clover Hill
- Tissue Paper Stained Glass from Artful Parent
- Crayon Hearts from Martha Stewart
- Wax Paper and Watercolor Resist Art from The Crafty Crow
We made this Wax Paper Suncatcher as the craft for our Beauty and the Beast family movie night. I also served:
It was all super simple to make but made for one amazing movie night!
Materials for a Wax Paper Suncatcher
- Wax Paper (I also love these squares for separating food for freezing, or stacking – and also creating little barriers in lunch boxes)
- Kitchen Tray or clipboard
Tip: I use kitchen trays for most of our crafts to keep the mess contained. They are easy to wash after messy crafts and the little ridge stops paint, water or clay spills from getting everywhere. (They are also great for storing crafts as they dry, or designating “craft space” when multiple kids are using a table or work surface.)
How to Make a Wax Paper Suncatcher
Use a ruler to divide your wax paper into sections. Add shapes or additional designs, as desired.
Using your permanent markers, decorate each of these sections a bit differently – or at least try to avoid decorating two connecting sections the exact same. Use solid colors, patterns or fun shapes to fill in each section.
Finally, go over the section lines with a black marker to give that final “stained glass” finish.
Let dry before attaching to your window with a bit of transparent tape.
Pin this Easy Stained Glass Suncatcher Craft for Kids:
Grab your free printable instructions for our Easy Wax Paper Suncatcher craft:
Wax Paper "Stained Glass" Suncatcher
A super simple sun catcher kids can make with materials you already have at home.
- Wax Paper
- Kitchen Tray or clipboard
- Use a ruler to divide your wax paper into sections. Add shapes or additional designs, as desired.
- Using your permanent markers, decorate each of these sections a bit differently - or at least try to avoid decorating two connecting sections the exact same. Use solid colors, patterns or fun shapes to fill in each section.
- Finally, go over the section lines with a black marker to give that final "stained glass" finish.
- Let dry before attaching to your window with a bit of transparent tape.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Restaurant-Grade Hamburger Patty Paper 1000 Pack By Avant Grub. Non-Stick, Waxed Food-Grade Squares 5.5 x 5.5. Larger Size For Huge Burgers. Freezer Safe For Beef, Turkey, Bison and Other Patties
Sharpie 30075PP Permanent Markers, Fine Point, Assorted Colors, 12 Count
New Star Foodservice 28010 6-Piece Fast Food Tray, 12 by 16-Inch, Assorted Colors
I hope your kids love this simple and easy suncatcher craft! I’d love to see what they come up with if you tag me on social media.
For more fun low-prep crafts for kids, check out our Easy Bird Feeder for Kids or our Garden Wind Chimes.