Another fun Disney Family Movie Night to inspire your own family traditions, today I’m sharing the menu, craft and decor that we used for our Beauty and the Beast Family Movie Night.
Beauty and the Beast Movie Night
My favorite Disney movie growing up was Beauty and the Beast.
I would put on a Belle costume and dance around during the songs. I loved her obsession with books and her forgiving heart – and of course, what child could resist thinking that all of the furniture and toys in their home came to life and had their own unique personalities! (Toy Story kind of doubled down on that idea.)
My daughter finally got over her fear of the beast, and to celebrate I got to throw the Disney Movie Night I was most looking forward to.
These Family Movie Nights are a fun tradition that I try to keep up about once a month and they always get Ella so excited – it’s like a mini party for just our family!
This same menu and itinerary for our Beauty and the Beast movie night would also work for a family movie night for:
- Sleeping Beauty (the gray stuff can be topped with purple and green sprinkles instead, and the roses are perfect for Briar Rose – Aurora’s alter ego)
- The Aristocats
- Hunchback of Notre Dame
If you’re planning a Disney trip anytime in the future, this is a fun way to build anticipation and count down to your trip. If you have kids with distinctly different movie tastes, try alternating who gets to pick the movie and get everyone involved in planning the menu and activities.
Check out the bottom of this post for a printable shopping list to make planning your own family movie night easier.
Disney’s Beauty and the Beast Movie Night Menu
You don’t need plenty of time or a crazy elaborate meal to make a fun, themed movie night extra-special. For our Brave movie night, I just made breakfast for dinner and added some Bakewell Tarts.
For a Beauty and the Beast Movie Night, the menu can be French-themed or you can take your inspiration directly from the movie, preparing the foods sang about in “Be Our Guest”:
- Soup du jour
- Hot hors d’oeuvres
- Gray stuff
- Beef ragout
- Cheese soufflé
- Pie or pudding en flambé
For our movie night, I served:
- Cheese Soufflé
- Pizza Roses
- Gray Stuff cupcakes
- Strawberry Rose Cocktails (Ella just had strawberry lemonade)
Each recipe was incredibly easy and it took about an hour to prepare and cook everything.
Other meal ideas that would be great for a Beauty and the Beast Movie Night include:
- Instant Pot Beef Bourguignon
- French Yogurt Cake
- Edible Chip Tea Cups from In the Kids Kitchen
- Chocolate French Crepes
- French Onion Steak
- Le Fou’s Brew from Inside the Magic
- French Onion Soup
- Lobster Thermidor
- Belle Caramel Apples from Get Away Today
- Apple Rose Pie
- Rosewater Marshmallows
- Belle Cupcakes with Printable Toppers from Get Away Today
Beauty and the Beast Movie Night Decor
As usual, I just searched the house for items that could be repurposed as decor for our movie night.
Since Beauty and the Beast was my favorite movie, I have several Beauty and the Beast home decor pieces:
- Mrs Potts and Chip tea set (I actually serve tea with it)
- Lumiere Light Up Candle Stick (you can also get a mini version that is intended to be a Christmas ornament)
- Cogsworth Clock
Ella also had Beauty and the Beast figurines that we used to decorate with. We also have these cute Enchanted Rose drink tumblers that light up, but I completely forgot about them during our movie night!
We also set our coffee table with a bright yellow tablecloth and Ella scattered fake red rose petals all over.
Ella wore this super cute Belle nightgown that looks like a costume, but doesn’t have the scratchy tulle fabric and is comfortable enough for her to sit and watch the movie in. (She’s even worn it to DisneyWorld a few times, you really can’t tell that it’s PJs.) You don’t need to dress up for a family movie night, but Ella loves any occasion to get a bit fancy.
Other Beauty and the Beast Decor Ideas:
- A plastic utensil chandelier like the one Life is a Party made for her Beauty and the Beast party
- DIY Stained Glass Bottles from B-inspired Mama
- Piles of pretty books
- Light-up Galaxy Rose
- Be Our Guest party banner
- Red Rose garlands (these would also be great for using at Valentine’s Day or Mother’s Day)
For our family movie nights, I usually plan a craft for Ella that she can do while waiting for the food to cook. It helps build up the excitement for the movie night and makes it more of an event. Kids who have a hard time sitting through the movie may enjoy doing the craft during the movie.
We made a super simple Stained Glass Wax Paper craft (below) but other Beauty and the Beast craft ideas could include:
- Enchanted Mirror craft from A Pumpkin and a Princess
- Painting Roses craft
- Handprint Roses craft
- Belle Paper Plate Dress from Seeing Dandy
- Enchanted Rose craft from Hello Wonderful
- Color your own Beauty and the Beast Bookmarks from Cutesy Crafts
- Cogsworth Clock craft from The Inspiration Edit
- You could even put together a Beauty and the Beast puzzle during or before the movie
Disney’s Beauty and the Beast Craft
For her craft, Ella made a simple wax paper suncatcher that looked like stained glass! We chose to go with an easy, abstract design but you could try to recreate the stained glass design from the movie.
Materials to a Wax Paper Suncatcher:
- Wax Paper (I also love these squares for separating food for freezing, or stacking – and also creating little barriers in lunch boxes)
- Kitchen Tray or clipboard
Pizza Roses Recipe
These pizza roses are a fun twist on pizza and super easy for the kids to help make.
PIZZA ROSES INGREDIENTS
- Pizza Dough or Puff Pastry
- Pizza Sauce
- Shredded Cheese
Gray Stuff Recipe
We served this decadent cookies and cream pudding two ways during our family movie night – as a cupcake frosting and on it’s own, as a silky, luxurious pudding.
GRAY STUFF INGREDIENTS
- Vanilla Pudding Mix
- OREOs, crushed (or other Cookies and Cream cookie)
- Cool Whip
- Edible Sugar Pearls
Cheese Soufflé Recipe
A fool-proof recipe for a classic cheese soufflé that removes the intimidation factor that this recipe can be associated with. Just time your recipe to be served right when you’re ready to dig in for movie night.
CHEESE SOUFFLÉ INGREDIENTS
- Cheese, shredded <– you can use mozzarella, Gruyere, whatever you prefer flavor-wise
- Mustard Powder
- White pepper
Strawberry Rose Cocktail
A pretty strawberry rose sits in the middle of this sparkling strawberry rose cocktail, a fun tribute to the enchanted rose in the movie.
How to Make a Strawberry Rose Cocktail
- Strawberry Rose Vodka
- Sparkling Rosé
Planning Your Own Family Movie Night
I’ve made this free Family Movie Night planning sheet for you to plan your own movie night – whether that be for Disney’s Brave or another family favourite.
The first couple times you host a family movie night, try to take it easy – stick to recipes that you’ve tried before, pick a craft or activity well within the kids’ skill level, and don’t over plan the night. The movie will probably get started later than you expected and the kids might be a little over-excited at the new family tradition (especially if eating supper in front of the TV)!
We originally tried to do these weekly, but for now doing them every 2 weeks has allowed them to still be a fun family time that we look forward to, without feeling like just another thing I have to schedule and plan for.
Does your family host movie nights, or have any other fun traditions for spending time together?
What movies would you like to plan our next family movie night for?