A delicious homemade donut recipe, these Mint Chocolate Cake Donuts with crunchy mint glaze are a perfect, easy dessert for the mint chocolate lovers in your life.
Mint Chocolate Donut Recipe
Donuts are a Saturday staple in our house.
We stay in our PJs, blast music and take dance breaks with our morning coffee (or smoothie) and a donut.
I often go the lazy route and just grab a small pack of those mini powdered sugar donuts for our Saturday tradition, but every once in a while I like to really treat my family with homemade donuts.
These mint chocolate donuts were perfect for my mint chocolate-loving daughter. The fluffy chocolate cake donut is complemented perfectly by the mint-infused, crunchy glaze, making it a completely satisfying treat.
To make things easier on myself, I used a box cake mix instead of making the donuts from scratch.
You can swap out the boxed chocolate cake mix for your own personal favorite chocolate cake recipe. Our Guinness Chocolate Cake would be a great swap if you’re making these for St Patrick’s Day!
The plain donuts can be frozen in airtight freezer bags or your favorite freezer containers for up to three months. I do not recommend freezing with the glaze as it will likely melt when brought back to room temperature. (This set of freezer containers is a crazy bargain.) Wait until the donuts are completely thawed before glazing.
More Mint Chocolate Desserts:
- Crockpot Thin Mint Hot Chocolate
- Andes Mint Fudge
- Mint Chip Ice Cream
- Mint Chocolate Bailey’s Cheesecake Bars from The Soccer Mom Blog
- Mint Chocolate Cupcakes
- Andes Brownies
- Mint Chip Layer Cake
- Thin Mint Cupcakes from In the Kids Kitchen
Mint Chocolate Donut Ingredients
- Chocolate cake mix
- PLUS cake mix ingredients called for on the box
- Powdered Icing Sugar
- Milk or Cream
- Mint Extract
- Green Food Coloring, optional <– this set of food coloring has lasted me forever and I love that it creates highly saturated colors with just a drop
- Mint Chocolate Chips, optional
Scroll down to the printable recipe card for full measurements.
Tip: use a piping bag to fill your donut pan for less mess – and under-fill the donut cavities to just halfway to ensure your donuts bake up into the perfect shape.
Kitchen Tools You May Find Helpful
- Donut pan <– this two-pack will make the process of baking these donuts fast and easy
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Electric mixer <– this is a great hand mixer if you don’t want to make the investment into a stand mixer
- Cooling racks <– I have and love these tiered cooling racks, they save so much counter space and are also oven-safe
How to Make Mint Chocolate Cake Donuts
Preheat oven to 350F.
Lightly grease your donut pan and set aside.
Make your chocolate cake mix according to package directions and fill the donut pan indentation halfway with the cake mix.
Bake for 15-18 minutes (until the donuts are firm and fully formed) and allow to cool in the pan for one minute before turning out onto the cooling rack.
Once the donuts have cooled completely, prepare the mint frosting glaze.
In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the powdered icing sugar, milk and mint extract. Whisk to combine, adjusting the texture with additional powdered sugar or milk, as desired.
Add green food coloring, if desired.
Dip each donut twice in the mint glaze, allowing the excess glaze to drip off fully before each re-dip. OR, drizzle the glaze over the donuts.
Sprinkle on mini mint chips onto the wet glaze. Allow to set completely before storing or serving.
Grab your free printable recipe card for our mint chocolate donut recipe:
- Boxed Chocolate Cake Mix
- Plus ingredients called for on the box
Hard-Set Vanilla Glaze:
- 1 1/2 cups powdered icing sugar
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon mint extract
- 1/2 cup Mini Mint Chocolate Chips, optional
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Lightly grease your donut pan and set aside.
- Make your chocolate cake mix according to package directions and fill the donut pan indentation halfway with the cake mix.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes (until the donuts are firm and fully formed) and allow to cool in the pan for one minute before turning out onto the cooling rack.
- While the donuts are cooling, prepare the mint donut glaze.
- Sift the powdered sugar into a medium-sized bowl, then whisk in the milk and mint extract. Adjust the texture with additional powdered sugar or milk, as desired.
- Add green food coloring, if desired.
- Place a cooling rack over a cookie sheet with a rim for the glazed donuts to dry on.
- Take each donut and dip the top into the glaze. Allow the excess glaze to drip off before placing top-side up on the cooling rack. (Alternatively, you can drizzle the glaze over the donuts.)
- If desired, sprinkle on mini mint chocolate chips while the glaze is wet.
- Allow glaze to set before serving or storing, about 15 minutes.
Tip: use a piping bag to fill your donut pan for less mess - and under-fill the donut cavities to just halfway to ensure your donuts bake up into the perfect shape.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
I hope your family loves these tender mint chocolate donuts as much as mine did!
For more delicious dessert recipes, check out our full collection of dessert recipes here: