A delicious carrot recipe for the whole family, this Shredded Carrot Salad is often called a Russian Carrot Salad or a Korean Carrot Salad. Our version skips the sugar and onion to make a carrot slaw that is kid-friendly.
Russian Carrot Salad Recipe
Carrots are possibly one of the most under-appreciated vegetables out there.
Relegated to use as a salad garnish, a ranch dip delivery device, or a baking ingredient, it’s rarely given a chance to stand on it’s own in all of it’s tender, sweet and earthy glory. While roasting carrots is one of my favorite ways to bring out it’s sweet flavors, carrots can also be great in spicy, sour dishes, too.
This zingy and flavorful carrot salad is just 6 ingredients, is ready in less than 10 minutes, and is even better the next day.
This carrot salad works perfectly as a side salad or a slaw topping for sandwiches or your favorite stir fries (try it with our Sesame Beef Stir Fry or Mongolian Beef), but it also makes for a delicious meal on it’s own with a scoop of white rice.
I use a very light amount of garlic in this recipe and I skip the onion, since I’m cooking for kids, but you can definitely increase the garlic and include the onion if you want a more authentic Russian carrot salad. (Some versions call for a whole head of garlic!)
How to Julienne Carrots for Carrot Salad
You can use a variety of kitchen tools for perfectly shredded (julienned) carrots. I’ve used:
- a box shredder (like the kind you use to shred cheese)
- a mandoline (mine comes with a variety of attachments and is also awesome for thinly slicing vegetables – but be sure to use the blade guard as mandolins are super sharp!)
- a Y-handle vegetable shredder <– this is my preferred method
- a food processor (use the julienne attachment)
I don’t recommend using a spiralizer as carrots can be too hard for them.
Do I need to use julienne carrots for a Russian carrot salad? The matchstick cut of these carrots allows the dressing to coat them fully and is traditional, but you can use thinly sliced carrots to make this recipe, or those pre-made carrot “noodles” you can now find in the produce section of your grocery store.
How long does this carrot salad last in the fridge? The best part about this salad is that because of the vinegar-and-oil dressing, it will last in the fridge for up to a week. Double or triple the recipe as desired and enjoy this zesty slaw all week long.
Can I make this carrot salad spicy? Absolutely! Add some red chile flakes or swap the black pepper out for cayenne pepper to add some heat to your carrot salad.
For More Delicious Carrot Recipes Check Out:
- Instant Pot Candied Carrots
- Roasted Carrot Soup with Apple and Ginger
- Bourbon Glazed Roasted Carrots from Kylee Cooks
- Curried Carrot Biscuits
- Ginger Ale Carrots from The Soccer Mom Blog
- Honey Glazed Roasted Carrots from Sizzle and Salt
Russian Carrot Salad Ingredients
- Carrots, shredded
- White Vinegar
- Garlic, finely sliced or minced
- Salt and pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Chopped cilantro <– you can swap this for 1 teaspoon coriander seed or ground coriander
Scroll down to the printable recipe card for full measurements.
Tip: some people like to add a minced onion to this recipe. I don’t include it because I want mine to be kid-friendly. You can also add a 1/2 teaspoon of sugar, if desired.
Kitchen Tools You May Find Helpful
- Vegetable shredder or food processor
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Mixing bowl
- Sharp kitchen knife
- Cutting board
- Wooden spoon
How to Make a Shredded Carrot Salad
Shred the carrots using your preferred kitchen tool (julienne shredder, box shredder, food processor or mandoline).
Place carrots in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
Place the oil in a skillet over medium heat.
Once the oil is hot, add the garlic and cook until fragrant for one minute.
Pour the garlic and oil into the bowl with the carrots and toss to coat.
Add the vinegar, salt, pepper and cilantro and toss to disperse evenly. (Add the sugar, if using.)
Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
Pin this Easy Carrot Salad recipe:
Grab your free printable for our Russian carrot salad recipe:
- 4 medium Carrots, shredded
- 2 Tablespoons Extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves Garlic, finely sliced or minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 Tablespoon White Vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons Chopped cilantro
- Shred the carrots using your preferred kitchen tool (julienne shredder, box shredder, food processor or mandoline).
- Place carrots in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Place the oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Once the oil is hot, add the garlic and cook until fragrant for one minute.
- Pour the garlic and oil into the bowl with the carrots and toss to coat.
- Add the vinegar, salt, pepper and cilantro and toss to disperse evenly. (Add the sugar, if using.)
- Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This delicious carrot salad is a healthy side salad that goes perfectly with BBQ, stir fries or sandwiches.