These delicious gingerbread cookies are so cute, they look like they came from a package! Easy Glazed Gingerbread Cookies with a pretty vanilla glaze are an essential addition to your Christmas baking this year!
Glazed Gingerbread Cookies Recipe
I’m sharing today’s Christmas cookie recipe as part of a yearly “virtual cookie exchange” hosted by my friend, Natasha. You can check out all of the cookie recipes from the other participants at the bottom of this post.
This gingerbread cookie dough has taken me a couple of years to perfect, but I think we’re finally there!
These little glazed gingerbread cookies have that perfect snappy bite when you first tuck into them that gives way quickly to a soft, chewy gingerbread with the perfect amount of warming flavors. The cookies themselves are not too sweet so that vanilla glaze is not just super cute, it also helps add in some balance of sweetness.
The secret to these super cute cookies is two-fold:
- how pretty the vanilla sugar glaze looks when set on the baked cookies
- the design created by the plunger-style Christmas cookie cutters
I experimented a lot with this recipe – I wanted the perfect hard bite with a soft chew, and I wanted the perfect glaze.
While the glaze works if applied when the cookies are warm or cooled, I personally like it best when the glaze is applied to cooled gingerbread cookies. With the warm cookies, it’s absorbed more and doesn’t have the same uniform “candied” coating, plus it results in a harder cookie because the sugar glaze doesn’t “seal” the cookies but is absorbed into the cookie and crystallizes underneath the cookie “crust.” However, if you like a harder cookie, this may be the option that is best for you.
Can you freeze these cookies? Gingerbread cookies are one of the few cookies that you can freeze (either decorated or undecorated) without a flavor or quality loss! You can also freeze the dough and just allow it to come to room temperature before baking, so choose whichever works best for you!
More Gingerbread Recipes:
- Old-Fashioned Gingerbread Cake
- Star Wars Gingerbread Wookie Cookies
- Gingerbread Layer Cake
- Instant Pot Gingerbread Cheesecake
- Gingerbread Rice Krispie Squares
- No Cook Gingerbread Fudge
- Crockpot Gingerbread Lattes
- Gingerbread Cupcakes
Glazed Gingerbread Cookie Ingredients
- Butter, room temperature
- Brown Sugar
- Fancy Molasses
- All-Purpose Flour
- Baking Soda
- Ground Ginger, or more to taste
For the vanilla glaze:
Scroll down to the printable recipe card for full measurements.
Tip: this recipe will also work with pre-made gingerbread cookie dough, if you don’t want the hassle of from-scratch gingerbread cookie dough.
Kitchen Tools You May Find Helpful
- Electric mixer <– this is a great hand mixer if you don’t want to make the investment into a stand mixer
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Mixing bowl
- Push Cookie Cutters <– this is how you create those super cute impressed cookies
- Cooling racks <– I have and love these tiered cooling racks, they save so much counter space and are also oven-safe
- Cookie Sheets
- Rolling pin
How to Make Glazed Gingerbread Cookies
In a large bowl, cream together the butter and brown sugar for 2 minutes.
Add the egg and milk and beat to combine. Add the molasses and beat until fully combined. Set aside.
In a medium-sized bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and salt.
Beat the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until no dry patches remain.
Cover with plastic wrap and place dough in the fridge for 1 hour or overnight.
Preheat oven to 350F
Line two baking trays with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.
Roll out the cookie dough to 1/2″ thickness.
Cut out the cookie shapes with your chosen cutters and place the shapes on the prepared cookie trays.
Bake cookies for 8-10 minutes until well browned.
Allow to cool for 2 minutes on baking sheets before attempting to move to a cooling rack.
Once the cookies are cooled, prepare the glaze.
In a wide bowl, combine all glaze ingredients and stir well until no powdered sugar lumps remain.
Dip each cookie into the glaze and allow the excess glaze to run off.
Place the cookies back on the cooling rack or cookie sheet and allow to dry for 1-2 hours before attempting to store or serve.
Grab your free printable for our glazed gingerbread cookie recipe:
- 3/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cups brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup fancy molasses
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger, or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the vanilla glaze:
- 1 cup powdered icing sugar
- 1-2 Tablespoons warm water
- 1 Tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, optional
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and brown sugar for 2 minutes.
- Add the egg and milk and beat to combine. Add the molasses and beat until fully combined. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and salt.
- Beat the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until no dry patches remain.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place dough in the fridge for 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Line two baking trays with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.
- Roll out the cookie dough to 1/2" thickness.
- Cut out the cookie shapes with your chosen cutters and place the shapes on the prepared cookie trays.
- Bake cookies for 8-10 minutes until well browned.
- Allow to cool for 2 minutes on baking sheets before attempting to move to a cooling rack.
- Once the cookies are cooled, prepare the glaze.
- In a wide bowl, combine all glaze ingredients and stir well until no powdered sugar lumps remain.
- Dip each cookie into the glaze and allow the excess glaze to run off.
- Place the cookies back on the cooling rack or cookie sheet and allow to dry for 1-2 hours before attempting to store or serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Don’t forget to check out the other participants of our Virtual Cookie Swap!
Houseful Of Nicholes – Dumpster Cookies
Divas With A Purpose – Peppermint Chocolate Chip Cookies
Day By Day In Our World – Gluten Free Double Chocolate Chip & Craisin Oatmeal Cookies
Honest & Truly – Spiced Oatmeal Cranberry Cookies
Love Jaime – Snowball Cookies
How Was Your Day? – Lingonberry Thumbprints
Mama Harris’ Kitchen – Cranberry Pistachio Citrus Cookies
This Worthey Life – White Chocolate Cranberry & Toffee Cookies
Someday I’ll Learn – Easiest Christmas Cookies
Life Of A Ginger – Chocolate Candy Cane Kiss Cookies
100 Directions – Easy Chocolate Peppermint Fudge Brownie Mix Cookies
Brooklyn Active Mama – Red Velvet Cheesecake Cookies
Good Girl Gone Redneck – Peanut Butter Nutella Sugar Cookies
Collards Are the Old Kale – Chocolate Laced Triple Ginger Cookies
This Mamas Life – Cherry Bits