You know how much we love gingerbread!
This time Ella and I are back with Gingerbread Cupcakes. Add super cute gingerbread man sprinkles to his decadent dessert and you won’t be able to keep them on the plate!
We have been a little gingerbread obsessed this holiday season. We made Gingerbread Sugar Scrub as a fun last minute gift for teachers and friends. They were such a big hit we thought we would spread the cheer with cupcakes.
These cupcakes are moist and fluffy with a creamy frosting you’ll be licking off of the spatula! The hint of gingerbread is wonderfully rich without being overpowering. Add these to a cup of coffee after dinner for the perfect dessert.
We took a plate of these to our last holiday party and they were a huge hit. The kids really love the little gingerbread men sprinkles! I found them on Amazon for a good price and sprinkle them on many of our holiday recipes.
Be SURE the butter is at room temperature before starting your recipe. This is an important step! Butter is the center of this recipe. Using butter that is to cold can result in a clumpy batter that doesn’t mix well. BUT if you are like me, sometimes you are in a bit of a time crunch. So here’s a little hint: use the grater.
If you have frozen butter and need to get this recipe whipped up in a hurry, grate the half cup of butter into a small bowl. In no time your butter will be softened and ready to cook with.
Also, while making gingerbread cupcakes, be sure to leave enough time for the cupcakes to cool completely before adding the frosting.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1/2 cup milk, room temperature
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 and 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 1-2 Tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Line 12-count muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- In large bowl, beat the butter and brown sugar together on medium speed until creamy. Beat in the egg until combined, scraping down the sides as needed. Beat in the milk, molasses, and vanilla on medium speed.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and allspice together until combined. Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Mix until just combined.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 of the way full. Bake for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly clean. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- To make the frosting, beat the cream cheese and butter together on medium speed until smooth, about 2 minutes. Add icing sugar and 1 tablespoon milk. Beat for 2 minutes. Add the vanilla and 1 more tablespoon milk if needed to thin out. Beat for 1 minute.
- Swirl on the frosting using an icing bag fitted with your desired tip. Sprinkle gingerbread man sprinkles or a pinch of cinnamon to garnish.
Don’t you just love them! Bring your kids in on this recipe too. Ella is a master at using the hand mixer and loves anything to do with scooping ingredients.
(I’ve actually considered buying a better stand mixer considering how much helping she does in the kitchen, but I think the hand mixer helps develop her hand strength so we’re going to stick with that for now!)
While you are in the kitchen with your kids you can make these fun Play Dough Gingerbread Ornaments as a special addition to your tree this year.
You’ll love Ferrero Rocher Cupcakes too! These are to die for so be sure to save one out for yourself.