The perfect homemade condiment to slather on everything from burgers to sub-style sandwiches, this creamy and tangy Copycat Big Mac Sauce is super easy to make at home with everyday ingredients.
Big Mac Sauce Recipe
What is big mac sauce? The secret sauce that has been slathered on Big Macs since their debut in 1968 is creamy, tangy and has a bit of a sweet and sour component thanks to the sugar and vinegar. The sweet tang of the sauce is the perfect complement to a seasoned, meaty burger – the same way that a creamy onion dip makes eating salted chips so much more irresistible.
A lot of people use Thousand Island dressing as a substitute for Big Mac Sauce and while the two are similar, Big Mac Sauce doesn’t use any tomatoes and is more creamy and less tangy than Thousand Island dressing.
Luckily, McDonalds released the ingredients’ list for their Big Mac sauce a few years ago so it was just a matter of experimenting with ingredient quantities to perfect our copycat Big Mac sauce recipe.
This creamy, tangy sauce can be enjoyed so many different ways – and since this recipe yields a cup of sauce, you can use it for a couple of different recipes before you need to whip up another batch. (Or just double the recipe to increase the batch to two cups of sauce.)
How to Use Your Big Mac Sauce
- use to top homemade burgers or sliders
- serve on the side with onion rings for a delicious dip
- use as a chicken marinade
- drizzle on salads (you may want to add a bit of milk or extra apple cider vinegar to make the sauce thinner for salads)
- use as a sandwich spread
- use as a cold pasta or potato salad dressing
- let the kids dip roasted veggies in it – hey, whatever encourages them to eat their veggies!
Does Big Mac Sauce contain ketchup? Nope! There are no tomato products in big mac sauce. The sauce gets it’s peachy pink hue from the addition of paprika.
Can I use dill pickle relish instead of sweet pickle relish? If you prefer dill pickle relish, you can use it instead of the sweet pickles and then skip adding dill pickles to your burger to prevent a dill-overload. However, the sweet pickle relish does give this recipe a good amount of it’s sweetness and tang, so you may need to adjust the sugar and vinegar to accommodate this swap.
Storage: This Big Mac Sauce will last in the fridge in an airtight container (like a mason jar) for up to two weeks. You may need to stir the sauce a bit towards the end of it’s shelf life but it will still taste great.
More Delicious Sauces and Dips
- Copycat Chickfila Sauce (with Video)
- Homemade Teriyaki Sauce
- Blue Cheese Sauce for Steak (with Video)
- Kid-made BBQ Sauce
- Copycat Chuy’s Jalapeno Ranch Dip (with Video)
- Texas Roadhouse Cinnamon Honey Butter
Check out our quick video to see how to make our homemade Big Mac sauce – and then don’t forget to scroll down to grab your free printable recipe card:
Big Mac Sauce Ingredients
- Sweet Relish
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Garlic Powder, optional
- Onion Powder, optional
Scroll down to the printable recipe card for full measurements.
Tip: taste and adjust this recipe to suite your personal preferences.
Kitchen Tools You May Find Helpful
- Mixing Bowl
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Wooden spoon or spatula <– I like these spatulas because they are one solid piece and don’t have removable heads for bacteria to get trapped underneath. Plus they are heat-resistant and have a lifetime warranty.
- Mason Jar, for storing
How to Make Big Mac Sauce at Home
Combine all ingredients together in a medium-sized bowl.
Taste and adjust to personal preferences.
Store in a mason jar in the fridge for up to two weeks.
Grab your free printable recipe card for our homemade Big Mac Sauce recipe:
- 1/2 cup Mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons Sweet Relish
- 1 Tablespoon Mustard
- 1 Tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon Onion Powder, optional
- Combine all ingredients together in a medium-sized bowl. Taste and adjust to personal preferences.
- Store in a mason jar in the fridge for up to two weeks.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 52Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 3mgSodium: 136mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 0g
Sugar, Spice and Glitter uses an auto-generate nutrition calculator. Nutrition information isn’t always accurate unless analyzed in a scientific lab, so these should be considered more of a guideline than medical information.
I hope your family loves this delicious Copycat Big Mac Sauce as much as mine does!
For more homemade pantry staples, check out our full pantry staples recipe collection here:
For more delicious desserts, check out our full dessert recipe collection here: