A fun no-bake recipe for Snickers fans, today’s Snickers Muddy Buddies combine those classic caramel, chocolate and peanut butter flavors in a crunchy, sweet party mix that will have everyone going back for more.
Snickers Muddy Buddies Recipe
Muddy buddies are one of those easy, no-bake desserts that I always forget about.
I get busy making no-bake cheesecakes, no-churn ice creams or no-bake bars, and just forget about this classic for months until it randomly pops into my head or Ella reminds me of how much she loves it. It’s truly the easiest no bake dessert of them all and whether you make the original version or a fun twist like today’s recipe, it’s always so good and a little bit addictive.
Longtime readers know that Snickers are my all-time favorite candy bars and I have no less than 10 Snickers-inspired recipes on the blog! So, naturally, I had to make a Snickers-inspired muddy buddy recipe to add to our collection.
Instead of the usual combination of melted chocolate and peanut butter to coat the crunchy Chex cereal, we used a combination of melted chocolate, peanut butter and caramel sauce to better mimic the flavor profile of a Snickers bar and added in salted peanuts for added crunch and peanut flavor. The result is a sweet and salty, crunchy dessert mix that has just the perfect amount of underlying nutty and bitter chocolate flavors to keep things interesting. Each bite is a little different in the make-up of caramel, chocolate and peanut butter flavors mixing with the sweet powdered sugar, so you get a new little flavor buzz.
Puppy chow and muddy buddies are the exact same thing, the best I can tell is that it’s called puppy chow in the midwest (because of it’s resemblance to puppy chow) and muddy buddies everywhere else.
Muddy buddies can be stored in an airtight container for up to a week (if it doesn’t disappear faster in your house) or can be frozen in an airtight freezer bag or your favorite freezer containers for up to two months. (This set of freezer containers is a crazy bargain.)
More Snickers-Inspired Recipes:
- Homemade Snickers Bars (with video)
- Snickers Layer Cake
- Snickers Cheesecake (with video)
- Snickers Ice Cream (with video)
- Snickers Cheesecake Brownies
- Snickers Icebox Cake from Baker’s Royale
- Snickers Cookie Bars from Pillsbury
Check out our quick video for how to make muddy buddies – this video shows a plain version (without caramel sauce or salted peanuts) but the process is mostly the same for any muddy buddies recipe you want to make – then don’t forget to scroll down to grab your free printable recipe card:
Snickers Muddy Buddy Ingredients
- Chex Cereal
- Salted Peanuts
- Semisweet Chocolate Chips
- Creamy Peanut Butter
- Caramel Sauce
- Powdered Icing Sugar
Scroll down to the printable recipe card for full measurements.
Tip: you can also chop up some Snickers bars to add to the party mix.
Kitchen Tools You May Find Helpful
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Microwave-safe bowls
- Large ziptop bags
- Cookie Sheet
- Spatula <– I like these spatulas because they are one solid piece and don’t have removable heads for bacteria to get trapped underneath. Plus they are heat-resistant and have a lifetime warranty.
How to Make Snickers Muddy Buddies
Measure cereal and salted peanuts into a large bowl and set aside.
In a large microwavable bowl, place the chocolate chips and peanut butter.
Heat in the microwave for 1 minute, then stir well.
Microwave about 30 seconds longer or until mixture can be stirred smooth, as pictured.
Stir in the caramel sauce until completely incorporated.
Pour mixture over cereal, stirring until evenly coated.
Place powdered sugar in a large resealable food-storage plastic bag.
Add the chocolate-covered cereal to the bag, and then seal and shake.
Shake until the cereal appears well coated by the powdered sugar, turning over frequently.
Spread on waxed paper or a baking sheet and allow the melted chocolate to set before storing or serving.
Pin this Easy No Bake Dessert for a fun Movie Night Snack:
Grab your free printable recipe card for our Snickers Muddy Buddies recipe:
- 9 cups Chex Cereal
- 1/4 cup Salted Peanuts
- 1 cup Semisweet Chocolate Chips
- 1/4 cup Creamy Peanut Butter
- 1/4 cup Caramel Sauce
- 1 1/2 cups Powdered Icing Sugar
- Measure cereal and salted peanuts into a large bowl and set aside.
- In a large microwavable bowl, place the chocolate chips and peanut butter.
- Heat in the microwave for 1 minute, then stir well.
- Microwave about 30 seconds longer or until mixture can be stirred smooth, as pictured.
- Stir in the caramel sauce until completely incorporated.
- Pour mixture over cereal, stirring until evenly coated.
- Place powdered sugar in a large resealable food-storage plastic bag.
- Add the chocolate-covered cereal to the bag, and then seal and shake.
- Shake until the cereal appears well coated by the powdered sugar, turning over frequently.
- Spread on waxed paper or a baking sheet and allow the melted chocolate to set before storing or serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 109Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 92mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 1gSugar: 11gProtein: 2g
Sugar, Spice and Glitter uses an auto-generate nutrition calculator. Nutrition information isn’t always accurate unless analyzed in a scientific lab, so these should be considered more of a guideline than medical information.
I hope your family loves this Snickers Muddy Buddy recipe as much as mine does – it’s been a hit with Ella and her friends at sleepovers, though it definitely comes with a sugar high!
For more decadent no-bake desserts, check out our full no-bake dessert recipe collection here:
For more decadent desserts, check out our full dessert recipe collection here:
For more recipes kids can make, check out our full kid-made recipe collection here: