A delicious homemade burger recipe for summer, these Jalapeño Crunch Burgers bring the heat with spicy pepper jack cheese, sriracha mayonnaise and pickled jalapeños, and is topped off with fried onions for a satisfying crunch.
Disclosure: I worked with BUBBA Burgers on a sponsored Instagram campaign, but I loved this recipe that I developed for it so much I wanted to share it here. As always, my opinions and thoughts are my own.
Cowboy Burgers Recipe
In the summer, burgers are in high rotation over here.
We want to maximize our time outside, spend it with friends, and of course, I want to avoid heating up the house even further by turning on the oven.
Of course, I’m not one to snub my nose at a classic cheeseburger with cheddar cheese, tomatoes, lettuce and a dollop of ketchup and mustard, but when you’re having burgers at least once a week, you want to mix things up a little!
This Jalapeño Crunch Burger is like the spicy, grown-up version of a classic cheeseburger. The flavor is incredible – cheesy, spicy, with acidity from the pickled jalapeños and a slight sweetness from the fried onions, and of course you get that beefy, savoury burger. I love the combination of textures, too, from toasting the hamburger buns and using the crunchy, fried onions.
(Plus, my fellow triple-fat lovers will enjoy the combination of the burgers with spicy mayo, the butter used to toast the buns and the melted cheese.)
I thought I was very clever coming up with this recipe, but it turns out that there are a ton of independent restaurants who offer similar burger toppings calling them “Cowboy Burgers” or “Texas Burgers.” (How appropriate for me – my best friend is a Texan!) They tend to top theirs with BBQ sauce instead of spicy mayo, so use whichever you’d prefer.
These burgers would be perfect for tailgating or entertaining. You could provide guests with a couple burger options or add the ingredients from this Jalapeño Crunch Burger to a make your own burger bar set-up.
It would also be a great recipe for Father’s Day or a low-key birthday meal for a spicy food fan.
What burgers can I use to make cowboy burgers? You can use any burger – whether homemade or store-bought. If you’re looking to make homemade burger patties, check out this simple burger recipe from Kylee Cooks or this spicy burger recipe from Taste of Home. No matter what you use, make sure it’s juicy and preferably medium-rare.
Can these cowboy burgers be made in advance? Yes, just don’t assemble them in advance. You can reheat your burger patties in the oven and then add the toppings just before serving.
Side Dishes to Serve Your Burger With
- Homemade French Fries
- Hawaiian Macaroni Salad
- Creamy Potato Pea Salad with Dill
- Greek Cucumber Salad
- Cucumber Avocado Salad
Cowboy Burger Ingredients
- BUBBA Burgers (Original Beef or Angus Beef)
- Burger Buns
- Spicy mayonnaise <– you can make your own by mixing chipotle hot sauce or sriracha with mayonnaise, to your personal taste
- Pepper Jack cheese
- Fried onions <– you can swap these out for onion rings if you prefer
- Pickled Jalapeños
Scroll down to the printable recipe card for full measurements.
Tip: add “cool” toppings like lettuce or tomatoes to cut through the heat, if desired.
Kitchen Tools You May Find Helpful
- Grill or Cast Iron Skillet <– I love the versatility of a good cast-iron pan – you can make everything from eggs to dessert in them and they transition easily from the stove to the oven. This one is pre-seasoned and great for even heating
- Meat thermometer <– I have been using this model for the past 6 years – I’ve never had to change a battery and it’s super sturdy and reliable. It was a bit pricey, but unlike the $15 models that you can buy, this one isn’t going to need replacement. It is waterproof and comes with a two-year warranty.
How to Make a Cowboy Crunch Burger
Grill or oven bake your burgers, according to the boxed directions. Right before they are done, add a slice of pepper jack cheese to each burger patty.
Remove to a plate and cover with tinfoil.
Lightly butter the cut side of your hamburger buns and grill (or place under a broiler for 2 minutes).
Remove from the heat and assemble your cowboy burgers.
To Assemble Your Burgers:
Apply about two tablespoons of spicy mayonnaise to the bottom half of the burger bun.
Add lettuce or tomatoes, if using.
Place the cheeseburger on top.
Add your fried onions and pickled jalapeños on top of the cheese.
Add additional condiments or more spicy mayonnaise, if desired.
Place the burger bun on top of the burger and serve.
Grab your free printable for our cowboy burger recipe:
- 8 Burger Patties
- 8 Burger Buns
- 4 Tablespoons Butter
- 8 Tablespoons Spicy mayonnaise
- 8 slices Pepperjack cheese
- 2 cups Fried onions
- 1 cup Pickled Jalapeños
- Grill or oven bake your burgers, according to the boxed directions. Right before they are done, add a slice of pepperjack cheese to each burger patty.
- Remove to a plate and cover with tinfoil.
- Lightly butter the cut side of your hamburger buns and grill (or place under a broiler for 2 minutes).
- Remove from the heat and assemble your cowboy burgers.
To Assemble Your Burgers:
- Apply about two tablespoons of spicy mayonnaise to the bottom half of the burger bun.
- Add lettuce or tomatoes, if using.
- Place the cheeseburger on top.
- Add your fried onions and pickled jalapeños on top of the cheese.
- Add additional condiments or more spicy mayonnaise, if desired.
- Place the burger bun on top of the burger and serve.
For medium rare burgers, cook to 135F. For medium, cook to 145F.
You can swap the fried onions for onion rings, if desired.
To cut through the heat, also offer lettuce and tomatoes as optional toppings.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 456Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 45mgSodium: 981mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 13g
Sugar, Spice and Glitter uses an auto-generate nutrition calculator. Nutrition information isn’t always accurate unless analyzed in a scientific lab, so these should be considered more of a guideline than medical information.
I hope your family loves this Jalapeño Crunch Burger recipe as much as mine did! It’s a great way to spice up your usual cheeseburger offering and a great addition to a party menu.
For more delicious burger recipes, check out our NY Pizza Burger or our Lamb Burger with Caramelized Onions and Feta Cheese.