A delicious loaf cake recipe bursting with plenty of fresh blueberries, this Blueberry Muffin Loaf is tender and light, perfect for an afternoon snack or a light dessert after a heavy meal.
Blueberry Muffin Bread Recipe
There is no such thing in my world as a visit without snacks.
Even if my friend calls me and gives me 15-minutes notice that she’s going to pop by, she’s going to arrive to a pot of coffee and something scrumptious. The house might be a mess, but a delicious treat covers a bevy of sins.
(That’s how the saying goes, right?)
This blueberry muffin cake is perfect for those last minute plans, or just making quick use of that extra container of blueberries you bought because the kids were going through them like crazy last week… and this week, they’re just sitting ignored in the fridge.
I call this loaf cake a “blueberry muffin bread” because it has a lighter, airy texture than most loaf cakes, which are dense with a heavy crumb texture. The outside of the loaf also gets just lightly golden, retaining that satisfying crispy texture of a good bakery-style muffin, instead of the spongy outside you’d associate with a banana bread or similar. It’s like having slices of blueberry muffins without having to scrub out a muffin tin.
You can play with the flavor of this blueberry cake by adding lemon zest or lemon juice, either alongside the vanilla or instead of adding vanilla. Add a crumb topping or even swap out the blueberries for other favorite fruits or even chocolate chips.
Can you freeze blueberry bread? Yes, this bread freezes and thaws beautifully so you can prep a loaf ahead of time and have it ready for gifting or last-minute guests. To freeze, wrap with plastic wrap and store in an airtight freezer bag or your favorite freezer containers. Use within 3 months.
Why do the ingredients all need to be room temperature? To achieve the light, airy texture of this blueberry muffin bread, all ingredients need to be room temperature. Depending on the temperature of your kitchen, this can take up to an hour but you can pop the eggs in warm water or microwave the milk for a few seconds to help it along, just make sure you don’t make it too hot. I always keep butter in a butter dish so I have it ready to go.
The room temperature of these ingredients allows them to emulsify properly, creating pockets of air that will contribute to a lighter baked good and allowing the ingredients to achieve their full flavor potential. Also, trying to blend together cold ingredients requires longer mixing times, which also results in a denser final product.
Check out our quick video for how to make this easy blueberry muffin bread – and then don’t forget to scroll down to grab your free printable recipe card:
More Blueberry Recipes:
- Natural Blueberry Lemonade
- Blueberry Jalapeño Salsa
- Blueberry Muffins
- Blueberry Macarons
- Blueberry Steak Salad with Chimichurri
- Blueberry Pie Ice Cream
- No-Bake Blueberry Cheesecake
- Blueberry Pie Bars from Averie Cooks
- Blueberry Buckle from Spend with Pennies
Blueberry Muffin Bread Ingredients
- White Sugar
- Unsalted Butter, softened at room temperature
- Eggs, room temperature
- Vanilla Extract
- Buttermilk <– regular milk can be used but I like the rise and flavor that buttermilk provides. I always have this powdered buttermilk in my fridge to make instant buttermilk whenever I need it.
- All-Purpose Flour
- Baking Powder
- Blueberries <– can use fresh or frozen
Scroll down to the printable recipe card for full measurements.
Tip: this recipe also works beautifully if you sprinkle some sugar overtop of the bread before baking or add a crumb topping. You can also add a bit of crunch to the bread by adding 2 Tablespoons of poppy seeds to the batter.
Kitchen Tools You May Find Helpful
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Mixing Bowl
- Electric mixer <– this is a great hand mixer if you don’t want to make the investment into a stand mixer
- Wooden Spoon or Spatula <– I like these spatulas because they are one solid piece and don’t have removable heads for bacteria to get trapped underneath. Plus they are heat-resistant and have a lifetime warranty.
- 8″ x 4″ Loaf Pan
How to Make Blueberry Muffin Bread
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Grease a standard loaf pan and set aside.
In a small bowl, whisk together the flour and baking soda. Set aside.
In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar with an electric mixer, about 2 minutes until fluffy.
Add in the eggs, vanilla and milk and beat until combined, 1 minute.
Gradually add in the dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
Stir in blueberries by hand, to prevent crushing and giving the bread a purple hue.
Pour the blueberry bread batter into the loaf pan.
Bake for 50 minutes to one hour, until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Allow bread to cool completely in the loaf pan before removing.
Grab your free printable recipe card for our blueberry muffin bread recipe:
- 1 cup White Sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 Eggs, room temperature
- 1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup Buttermilk, room temperature
- 2 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 2 1/2 cups Blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease a standard loaf pan and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar with an electric mixer, about 2 minutes until fluffy.
- Add in the eggs, vanilla and milk and beat until combined, 1 minute.
- Gradually add in the dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Stir in blueberries by hand, to prevent crushing and giving the bread a purple hue.
- Pour the blueberry bread batter into the loaf pan.
- Bake for 50 minutes to one hour, until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow bread to cool completely in the loaf pan before removing.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 299Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 63mgSodium: 161mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 2gSugar: 25gProtein: 5g
Sugar, Spice and Glitter uses an auto-generate nutrition calculator. Nutrition information isn’t always accurate unless analyzed in a scientific lab, so these should be considered more of a guideline than medical information.
I hope you love this easy blueberry muffin bread – all of the flavor and texture of your favorite blueberry muffin in a slice-able form.
For more easy bread recipes, check out our full bread recipe collection here:
For more easy breakfasts, check out our full breakfast recipe collection here:
For more delicious desserts, check out our full dessert recipe collection here: