A fun unicorn cookie recipe that all unicorn-loving kids will love, these Unicorn Chocolate Chip Cookies are tender, melt-in-your-mouth chocolate chip cookies with a bright pop of color from unicorn chocolate chips and pretty sprinkles.
Unicorn Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe
When you’re a girl mom, unicorns aren’t a trend.
They’re a permanent fixture of daily life.
Every once in awhile, I think Ella has grown out of her fascination with those magical creatures… only to turn around and see her creating yet another unicorn craft to add to her collection. And since unicorns represent all that is colorful, whimsical and fun – I am more than happy to join her!
I came across these unicorn chocolate chips at Walmart a few weeks ago and knew they would be perfect for a unicorn chocolate chip cookie! (They’d also be fun to use for a no-bake unicorn bark, unicorn granola bites, unicorn muffins, etc.) My daughter loved getting to help me whip up these cookies and getting to add as much “unicorn magic” (those chocolate chips and sprinkles) as she wanted.
These unicorn chocolate chip cookies are buttery, chewy chocolate chip cookies with slightly crispy edges and a balanced sweetness. The pastel-colored chocolate chips have a lightly sweet flavor that is similar to white chocolate while the colorful sprinkles add a bit of pleasant crunch.
Freezing Instructions: You can freeze this unicorn cookie dough before baking by forming the dough into logs or discs and wrapping tightly with plastic wrap before placing in an airtight freezer bag or your favorite freezer containers. (This set of freezer containers is a crazy bargain.) Use within two months for best flavor.
Room Temperature Ingredients: One important thing to keep in mind with this recipe – as with most baking recipes – is that the eggs and butter need to be completely at room temperature before you start making the dough.
I know we can sometimes be impatient and want to just get on with baking, but cold butter will not emulsify correctly with the sugars and will result in a hard, dense cookie. Set the eggs and butter out about an hour before you want to bake, and they should be perfectly room temperature by then.
Why Chill Cookie Dough: It might seem weird to insist on room temperature ingredients and then tell you to chill the dough, but there are important reactions at work with both of these steps that will ensure the best possible cookie. Chilling the finished dough allows the butter to harden up again, which ensures that your cookies won’t spread in the oven, resulting in a thin, crispy cookie. Chilling the dough also helps the cookies develop the best possible flavor. (You can read more about that here.)
For more unicorn-inspired desserts and crafts, check out some of our other ideas:
Unicorn Chip Cookie Ingredients
- Butter, softened at room temperature
- White Sugar
- Brown Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
- All-Purpose Flour
- Baking Soda
- Cream of Tartar <– I buy the big container because we go through a lot between snickerdoodle cookies, making play dough, etc.
- Pastel Chocolate Chips, or to taste
- Pastel Sprinkles
Scroll down to the printable recipe card for full measurements.
Tip: if you can’t find the unicorn chocolate chips, a white or regular chocolate chip can be used, just make sure to include the sprinkles.
Kitchen Tools You May Find Helpful
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Mixing bowl
- Electric mixer <– this is a great hand mixer if you don’t want to make the investment into a stand mixer
- Silicone Baking Mats or Parchment Paper
- Cookie Sheets
- Cooling racks <– I have and love these tiered cooling racks, they save so much counter space and are also oven-safe
- Cookie Scoop
How to Make Unicorn Chip Cookies
In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugars for two minutes until light and completely combined.
Beat in the eggs and vanilla extract.
In a small bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt.
Add half of the flour mixture to the butter mixture, combine fully, then add the remaining half.
Add the pastel chocolate chips and sprinkles, to taste.
Transfer the dough to the fridge for at least 1 hour.
Pre-heat oven to 350ºF.
Use a cookie scoop to portion out the dough onto a lined cookie sheet.
Bake for 12 minutes, until cookies are lightly browned.
Cool for 1 minute on the cookie sheet before transferring to a cooling rack.
Pin this Unicorn Dessert for a special treat for your unicorn-loving kids:
Grab your free printable recipe card for our unicorn chocolate chip cookie recipe:
- 1 cup butter, softened at room temperature
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 1/4 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 Tablespoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups Pastel chocolate chips, or to taste
- 1/2 cup Pastel Sprinkles
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugars for two minutes until light and completely combined.
- Beat in the eggs and vanilla extract.
- In a small bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt.
- Add half of the flour mixture to the butter mixture, combine fully, then add the remaining half.
- Add the pastel chocolate chips and sprinkles, to taste.
- Transfer the dough to the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- Pre-heat oven to 350ºF.
- Use a cookie scoop to portion out the dough onto a lined cookie sheet.
- Bake for 12 minutes, until cookies are lightly browned.
- Cool for 1 minute on the cookie sheet before transferring to a cooling rack.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 159Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 201mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 1gSugar: 12gProtein: 2g
Sugar, Spice and Glitter uses an auto-generate nutrition calculator. Nutrition information isn’t always accurate unless analyzed in a scientific lab, so these should be considered more of a guideline than medical information.
I hope your kids love getting to help make (and then eat) these unicorn cookies as much as my daughter did! They would also be a fun addition to a unicorn birthday party – or a slumber party!
For more scrumptious cookies, check out our full cookie recipe collection here:
For more decadent desserts, check out our full dessert recipe collection here: