How to make the perfect Roasted Sweet Potatoes with crispy, caramelized edges and pillowy, soft flesh.
Roasted Sweet Potatoes Recipe
Naturally savoury sweet potatoes are roasted until their natural, earthy sweetness comes out. Paired with your favorite seasonings or simple salt, pepper and caramelized acidic minced garlic (like we call for in this recipe) it makes the perfect side dish for a variety of meals.
While most people don’t start thinking of sweet potatoes until the fall, this recipe is delicious and affordable to make all year round.
There is no need to boil or even peel the sweet potatoes before roasting. Just chop, season and bake!
For best results with this easy side dish, there are two key things to keep in mind:
- be sure to flip the sweet potatoes halfway during the cooking process to ensure even roasting
- ensure that the chopped sweet potatoes aren’t too crowded before roasting or else they will just steam while baking and not get any crunchy, crispy edges
These roasted sweet potatoes makes for a perfect side dish or can be easily incorporated into a salad or a taco or sandwich wrap (I especially love roasted sweet potatoes in breakfast wraps).
Roasted Sweet Potato Variations:
- add warming seasonings like cinnamon or pumpkin spice
- or, add some heat with ancho chile powder or red chile flakes
- drizzle honey or maple syrup over the sweet potatoes right after roasting for added sweetness
- for some acidic sweetness, drizzle the sweet potatoes with balsamic vinegar along with the olive oil before baking
- cut the sweet potatoes into wedges or fry shapes
How to pick the best sweet potatoes: First, ensure that you’re picking sweet potatoes and not their starchier cousin, yams. (Sometimes grocery stores mislabel these – yams have a rough, brown skin similar to tree bark while sweet potatoes have smooth reddish-brown skin.)
Opt for sweet potatoes that feel heavy for their size for the most sweet flavor and discard any sweet potatoes with soft spots.
Store sweet potatoes in a cool, dark spot until you’re ready to use them.
How to store leftover roasted sweet potatoes: store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Can you freeze roasted sweet potatoes? Yes, roasted sweet potatoes can be frozen in an airtight freezer bag or your favorite freezer container for up to 6 months. (This set of freezer containers is a crazy bargain.)
How to roast sweet potatoes in an air fryer: This recipe can be easily prepared in an air-fryer. Cut the cooking time in half, still stirring the sweet potatoes about halfway through and adding the garlic at that time to prevent it from burning.
More Easy Vegetable Side Dishes for the Whole Family:
Ingredients for Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Scroll down to the printable recipe card for full measurements.
Tip: swap out or increase the seasonings, as desired.
Kitchen Tools You May Find Helpful
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Sharp Kitchen Knife
- Cutting Board
- Cookie Sheet
How to Make Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Preheat oven to 425F.
Peel and chop the sweet potatoes into 2″ pieces.
Place the sweet potatoes in a large bowl and drizzle with oil.
Stir to coat the potatoes completely in the oil, then season to taste with salt and pepper.
Fold the sweet potatoes out onto a large baking sheet and place in the oven for 25 minutes.
Take the sweet potatoes out of the oven and use a spatula to flip the potatoes. Sprinkle on the minced garlic and return to the oven for an additional 20 minutes.
Grab your free printable recipe card for our roasted sweet potatoes recipe:
- 4 Large Sweet Potatoes, approximately 2lbs
- 3 Tablespoons Oil
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 3 teaspoons Minced Garlic
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Peel and chop the sweet potatoes into 2" pieces.
- Place the sweet potatoes in a large bowl and drizzle with oil.
- Stir to coat the potatoes completely in the oil, then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Fold the sweet potatoes out onto a large baking sheet and place in the oven for 25 minutes.
- Take the sweet potatoes out of the oven and use a spatula to flip the potatoes. Sprinkle on the minced garlic and return to the oven for an additional 20 minutes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 240Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 125mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 6gSugar: 12gProtein: 4g
Sugar, Spice and Glitter uses an auto-generate nutrition calculator. Nutrition information isn’t always accurate unless analyzed in a scientific lab, so these should be considered more of a guideline than medical information.
I hope your family loves these easy roasted sweet potatoes as much as mine does!
For more ways to make veggies delicious, check out our full vegetable recipe collection here:
For more scrumptious side dishes, check out our full side dish recipe collection here: