A scrumptious, savory scone recipe perfect for everything from brunch to supper, these Lemon Dill Scones are super easy to make and utterly decadent.
Lemon Dill Scones Recipe
Scones are one of the easiest biscuit-type bread items to make at home. Even if you don’t have a lot of bread-making experience, I guarantee if you follow this lemon dill feta scone recipe step-by-step it will result in the best savory scones you have ever tasted!
While these scones are buttery and rich, with that perfect crumbly exterior and light, fluffy interior, the use of lemon and dill helps to lighten them up while the feta cheese adds a welcome hint of salty flavor, making these scones irresistible.
These lemon dill scones are delicious on their own or with a smear of butter, but I personally love adding other savoury toppings, like cream cheese and smoked salmon or tomatoes and bacon.
They work equally well for a fancy brunch as they do as a homey side to a hearty bowl of soup.
What is the difference between a biscuit and a scone? Scones and biscuits are very similar in that they are both quick breads with crusty, crumbly exteriors and light fluffy interiors, however they differ in a couple ways. Scones are made with eggs and/or cream while biscuits are made with butter and milk, which results in scones being a bit more study and crumbly, while biscuits are generally more light and flaky.
Can I freeze these lemon dill scones? Yes, these scones can be prepared ahead of time and frozen before baking. To freeze, prepare the scones right up until the point that you need to brush them with heavy cream. Simply cut into wedges and freeze on a baking sheet. Then remove from the freezer and place the individual wedges in an airtight ziptop freezer bag or your favorite freezer container. (This set of freezer containers is a crazy bargain.)
When ready to bake, remove from the freezer and place on a baking sheet until thawed. Brush with butter or cream before baking as directed. (You may need to bake a bit longer if they are not fully thawed.)
Ingredients for Lemon Dill Scones
- All-Purpose Flour
- Baking Powder
- White Sugar
- Butter, cold and cut into pieces
- Crumbled Feta
- Fresh Dill, chopped, plus more for garnish
- Lemon Zest, plus more for garnish
- Lemon Juice
- Heavy Whipping Cream, 35%
Scroll down to the printable recipe card for full measurements.
Tip: I really love how tender heavy cream makes these scones, but you can use milk or half and half cream, if desired.
Kitchen Tools You May Find Helpful
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Mixing Bowl
- Pastry cutter or large fork
- Sharp kitchen knife
- Baking Sheet
- Silicone Baking Mat
How to Make Lemon Dill Feta Scones
Preheat oven to 400F.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, white sugar and salt.
Place butter in the dry mixture and use a large fork or pastry cutter to combine with the dry mixture until it resembles coarse sand.
Add the feta, dill and lemon zest. Stir well.
Add egg, lemon juice and 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream and stir together to form a cohesive dough.
Place the dough on a floured work surface and shape into a large circle, about 1″ to 1 1/2″ thick.
Cut the circle into 8 equal portions using a pizza slicer.
Place the scones on a cookie sheet lined with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
Brush the tops of each scone with heavy whipping cream and garnish with additional dill and lemon zest.
Bake for 18-22 minutes, until lightly golden.
Grab your free printable recipe card for our lemon dill feta scones recipe:
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon White Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 cup Butter, cold and cut into pieces
- 1/3 cup Crumbled Feta
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Dill, chopped, plus more for garnish
- 2 Tablespoons Lemon Zest, plus more for garnish
- 2 teaspoons Lemon Juice
- 1 Egg
- 3/4 cup Heavy Whipping Cream, 35%, plus 2 Tablespoons
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, white sugar and salt.
- Place butter in the dry mixture and use a large fork or pastry cutter to combine with the dry mixture until it resembles coarse sand.
- Add the feta, dill and lemon zest. Stir well.
- Add egg, lemon juice and 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream and stir together to form a cohesive dough.
- Place the dough on a floured work surface and shape into a large circle, about 1" to 1 1/2" thick.
- Cut the circle into 8 equal portions using a pizza slicer.
- Place the scones on a cookie sheet lined with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- Brush the tops of each scone with heavy whipping cream and garnish with additional dill and lemon zest.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes, until lightly golden.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 270Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 69mgSodium: 433mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 6g
Sugar, Spice and Glitter uses an auto-generate nutrition calculator. Nutrition information isn’t always accurate unless analyzed in a scientific lab, so these should be considered more of a guideline than medical information.
I hope your family loves this easy lemon dill scones recipe as much as mine does!
For more beautiful breads, check out our full bread recipe collection here:
For more breakfast ideas, check out our full breakfast recipe collection here:
For more scrumptious side dishes, check out our full side dish recipe collection here: