Today, Nicola from Crafty Kids at Home is sharing her Dairy-free Scones, so I thought we’d share our easy healthy recipe for berry scones!
When I was 13, I spent a summer in England mostly staying with relatives. (Don’t tell Ella that I had that level of freedom at 13 — I don’t know that I could do it!)
While in England, I discovered the pure perfection that is a Cream Tea. Basically, it’s a tea and scone snack served alongside clotted cream and jam, and you spread the clotted cream onto the scones like butter and top with the jam. It is one of the best things in life, and well worth sourcing out local clotted cream for yourself to try alongside this recipe.
Start by measuring out your dry ingredients. I like to sift my flours for a more accurate measurement and I personally believe that it results in a lighter and more consistent end product. Humidity and temperature can affect dry ingredients, so I like to think that sifting helps mediate some of the effects.
Next, cut the butter into large chunks and cut it into the dry mixture with a dough cutter.
Once fine crumbs have formed and there are no big bites of butter, stir in 1 cup of the cream (you can still use your dough cutter for this if you’d prefer). You don’t want to overmix, so just stir until combined.
Then, gently add in the berries before placing the dough onto a floured surface.
Form the dough into a round shape – about 5″ thick – and cut into 8 pieces (or less, depending on how large you’d like your scones).
Place on a lightly greased or lined baking sheet and brush or pour the remaining 1/4 cup of cream overtop. I like to use a pastry brush for better control of the cream’s coverage and I usually use a silicone baking mat to cut down on waste.
Bake at 450F for 15 minutes until golden brown. The cream coating will prevent the dough from drying out at such a high baking temperature, while allowing the full scone to become cooked through.
- 2 cups flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup Butter
- 1 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup mixed berries (fresh or frozen)
- In a large bowl, mix together the 2 cups of flour, 1/3 cup sugar, and baking powder.
- Cut the ½ cup of butter into pieces and crumble into the flour mixture.
- Add in the cream and stir until just mixed, the mixture will seem crumbly.
- Finally, add in the berries (if using frozen, do not thaw before using).
- Place the dough on the countertop and form into a round shape with your hands. Pour the remaining cream overtop, or use a pastry brush to evenly distribute.
- Cut the scones into 4 to 8 pieces and place on a lightly greased baking sheet or pan.
- Bake the scones for 15 minutes at 450 degrees.
Check out the rest of our 31 Days of Kids Kitchen Series here.