It’s been awhile since we’ve made our pumpkin breakfast cookies, so when I suggested it as one of our kids’ kitchen recipes this week, Ella was excited but convinced me to make a slightly more indulgent pumpkin cookie.
This pumpkin chocolate chip cookie recipe is still mostly healthy, with low sugar, whole wheat flour, and real pumpkin – but all the kids seem to care about are those chocolate chips!
These pumpkin chocolate chip cookies are chewy and just slightly sweet, allowing the taste of the pumpkin to really shine. We also tried making these with oatmeal, but the kids seemed to prefer the softer texture of these.
I also added a bit of sea salt to the “grown up” cookies – it’s my go-to flavour enhancer!
Also, like any “wet” cookie dough, these cookies bake a lot better if you press them down into a final cookie shape, rather than baking them as a ball or mound – kind of like how you need to squish peanut butter cookies down with a fork, these pumpkin chocolate chip cookies need a bit of decompressing before baking, otherwise, the center remains too wet for my liking.
We stuck to just cinnamon for these cookies, but I have made pumpkin spice optional. I have a couple of children who have had their fill of pumpkin spice for the season, but either way, these cookies are a delicious & healthy treat!
Check out some more pumpkin cookie recipes from my fellow food bloggers below:
The theme this month is Pumpkin! It is only October–you can’t possibly be tired of this glorious symbol of the fall harvest yet! If you are a blogger and want to join in the fun, contact Laura at thespicedlife AT gmail DOT com and she will get you added to our Facebook group, where we discuss our cookies and share links.
You can also just use us as a great resource for cookie recipes–be sure to check out our Pinterest Board and our monthly posts (you can find all of them at The Spiced Life). You will be able to find them the first Tuesday after the 15th of each month!
Also, if you are looking for inspiration to get in the kitchen and start baking, check out what all of our bloggers have made this month:
- Mexican Chocolate Pepita Shortbread Cookies by Magnolia Days
- Peanut Butter Pumpkin Cookies by Food Lust People Love
- Pumpkin Butterscotch Chip Cookies by A Shaggy Dough Story
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies by Stay at Home Mama
- Pumpkin Date Cookies by Upstate Ramblings
- Pumpkin Drop Cookies with White Chocolate Chunks by The Spiced Life
- Pumpkin Oatmeal with White Chocolate M&Ms by Our Good Life
- Pumpkin, Oats and Sunflower Seeds Cookies by ISingCakes & More
- Pumpkin Spice Cookies by 2Cookin’ Mamas
- Pumpkin Spice Cut Out Cookies by A Baker’s House
- Pumpkin Thumbprints by Flours & Frostings