This month, I’m sharing all of my recipes for homemade seasoning mixes. Today’s recipe is my Homemade Cajun Seasoning which is a great addition to your favorite spicy foods!
Homemade Cajun Seasoning Recipe
I love making my own homemade seasoning mixes for a few reasons.
Number one is definitely cost – making my own mixes is a fraction of the price of buying all those little jars of pre-mixed seasoning from the grocery store. I also am able to customize my mix to my own tastes – making it spicier, reducing the salt, making sure that overlooked ingredients like cumin are included, etc. (Sometimes pre-made mixes are quite bland.)
There are also questionable ingredients like maltodextrin and monosodium glutamine (MSG) found in a lot of store-bought seasoning mixes that come with a bevy of serious health risks, so making my own mixes removes concerns about those ingredients from my cooking.
While I am definitely not the mom who avoids a treat, I also really prioritize keeping a healthy microbiome and if I can avoid ingredients that pose a threat to that, I’m going to. (Both maltodextrin can have adverse effects on gut health.)
Making our own homemade cajun seasoning is not only cheaper than buying the pre-made mixes, but I can feel good about serving food seasoned with it to my family.
The best cost savings with this recipe is to purchase your spices from a bulk store, or if that’s not an option, buy the large containers of the individual spices and herbs. Buying the little containers to make this seasoning would be crazy expensive (but ironically, still cheaper than using the seasoning packets).
You can also dry your own herbs to use for this homemade seasoning!
This homemade cajun seasoning is shelf-stable for up to a year, as long as you use fresh (dried) herbs and spices when you make it and store in a cool, dry spot in your kitchen.
This seasoning is gluten-free, paleo, low-carb and vegan and makes a great homemade gift.
What is cajun seasoning? Cajun seasoning is a blend of herbs and spices that originates from Louisiana, the home of Cajun cooking. It adds spicy earthiness to recipes, and a good cajun seasoning should add a great depth of flavor. (Many store-bought mixes are only a few ingredients so they kind of miss the mark on that one.)
What is cajun seasoning made of? Our cajun seasoning is made with paprika, cayenne pepper, black pepper, salt, cumin, ground coriander, oregano and thyme. I omit garlic powder and onion powder in my recipe, because if I’m making cajun food I tend to use fresh garlic and onions, but you can always add them – especially if planning to use this seasoning as a dry rub.
Some people like using white pepper in place of the black pepper, add chili flakes or chili powder for added heat, etc. A lot of other homemade cajun seasoning recipes don’t use cumin or ground coriander, but I like them in mine.
Can I use cajun seasoning in place of creole seasoning? Yes! Creole seasoning tends to have a bit more oregano and thyme, but other than that, the mixtures are pretty similar. (It’s the actual recipes that tend to differ.)
Need some inspiration for how to use your cajun seasoning? Check out these recipes that you can use this homemade ranch seasoning in:
- 10-minute Cajun Rice with Shrimp
- Shrimp & Sausage Gumbo
- Instant Pot Dr Pepper Pulled Pork
- Crispy Cajun Shrimp with Fettuccini from Kylee Cooks
- Pickled Caesar Cocktail
- Cajun Meatballs in Cajun Cream Sauce from Who Needs a Cape?
- Copycat Cheesecake Factory Bloody Mary Cocktail
- Cajun Shrimp Foil Packets from The Soccer Mom Blog
- Honey-glazed Peach and Chicken Kebabs
- Instant Pot Shrimp Boil from Bake Me Some Sugar
- Crockpot Bang Bang Shrimp
- Air Fryer Cajun Scallops from Smack of Flavor
- Pasta Paella
You can also use it on popcorn, homemade french fries or potatoes, chicken wings, add to soup, or on roasted veggies. It makes a delicious dry rub on almost any cut of meat and blackens when cooked at high heat, helping create a delicious, smoky bark.
Check out our quick video to see how easy it is to make our homemade cajun seasoning – and then don’t forget to scroll down to grab your free printable recipe:
Homemade Cajun Seasoning Ingredients
- Cayenne Pepper
- Ground Coriander
- Salt – don’t use finishing or kosher salt, opt for a quality sea salt
- Black pepper – can use white pepper
- Garlic powder, optional
- Onion powder, optional – I use dehydrated onion in my ranch seasoning
Scroll down to the printable recipe card for full measurements.
Tip: adjust the seasoning amounts to suit your own personal preferences. You can swap the black pepper for white pepper, add chili powder or chili flakes, etc.
Kitchen Tools You May Find Helpful
- Spice Grinder
- Measuring spoons
- Mason jars, for storing – I do not recommend plastic jars as they can hold moisture and you want to keep this seasoning mix dry to preserve freshness
How to Make Cajun Seasoning
Measuring out your ingredients and mix together.
Store in a glass mason jar in a cool, dry place in your kitchen.
If you’d like a smoother, more uniform texture, measure the ingredients into a spice grinder and blitz for 20 seconds until large pieces are broken but the mix isn’t too powdery.
Grab your free printable for our easy cajun seasoning mix:
- 2 Tablespoons Paprika
- 2 teaspoons Cayenne Pepper
- 2 Tablespoons Cumin, or to taste
- 1 Tablespoon Ground Coriander, or to taste
- 1 Tablespoon Oregano
- 1 Tablespoon Thyme
- 1 Tablespoon Salt, to taste
- 2 teaspoons Black pepper - can use white pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic powder, optional
- 1 Tablespoon Onion powder, optional
- Measuring out your ingredients and mix together.
- Store in a glass mason jar in a cool, dry place in your kitchen.
- If you'd like a smoother, more uniform texture, measure the ingredients into a spice grinder and blitz for 20 seconds until large pieces are broken but the mix isn't too powdery.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
VERONES Mason Jars Canning Jars, 4 OZ Jelly Jars With Regular Lids and Bands, Ideal for Jam, Honey, Wedding Favors, Shower Favors, Baby Foods, DIY Magnetic Spice Jars, 16 PACK,Extra 16 Lids
New Star Foodservice 42917 Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons and Measuring Cups Combo, Set of 8
Hamilton Beach Fresh Grind 4.5oz Electric Coffee Grinder for Beans, Spices and More, Stainless Steel Blades, Black (80335R)
This easy homemade cajun seasoning mix is an essential kitchen staple and makes a thoughtful homemade gift for the cajun food lover in your life!