A classic Christmas cookie kids will love getting to help make as much as they will love eating, these Double Chocolate M&M Christmas Cookies are tender, rich and incredibly decadent – the kind of cookie that begs to be dipped in a glass of milk!
M&M Christmas Cookies Recipe
Every family has a special dessert or treat that they always have on hand during the holidays.
For some it’s peppermint bark, or cherry cordials, or eggnog.
For me, I always have to have a little bowl of red and green M&Ms out on the coffee table. It’s something I grew up with and it’s basically a Christmas staple as far as I’m concerned.
(Right now, Christmas is the only time that I have a candy bowl in the house – but I’m pretty sure I’ll be the grandmother who always has a candy dish available!)
This year, I forgot that I had already bought a bag of red and green M&Ms and ended up with extra – so, I thought I’d introduce my daughter to this classic Christmas cookie!
We used my easy homemade double chocolate chip cookie dough as a base and added M&Ms alongside the chocolate chips, however, you can swap out the from-scratch recipe for our chocolate cake mix cookie dough.
These double chocolate cookies are rich, tender and super chocolatey and pair perfectly with a big glass of milk.
If you want to make them even more festive, you can add some Christmas sprinkles or swap out the chocolate chips for the red and green chocolate chips available at this time of year.
How long do M&M Christmas Cookies last? They will stay fresh in an airtight container at room temperature for about a week – they start to harden after that.
Can M&M Christmas Cookies be frozen? Personally, I don’t think the baked cookies freeze very well but you can pre-portion out the dough and freeze the unbaked cookies in an airtight freezer container or ziptop bag for up to a month (this set of freezer containers is a crazy bargain). Allow to thaw slightly before baking.
If you’re looking for more classic Christmas cookies, check out our Classic Christmas Cookies ebook, where we have gathered 40 of our favorite Christmas cookie recipes – from Peanut Butter Buckeyes to Easy Shortbread, Cream Cheese Mints to Toffee Biscuits!
These cookies all share a few things in common:
- They are easy enough for the kids to help make
- They require no special ingredients requiring visits to 5 different grocery stores
- They are Christmas classics that everyone will be excited to see at the Cookie Exchange
- And they are delicious!
To make your holiday baking even easier, we’ve included several tips to ensure the best results so you can just focus on having fun with your kids and trust that these cookies will turn out perfectly, every time.
Grab your copy of our Classic Christmas Cookies ebook:
(When you click the button above a new window will open that will take you to Paypal to securely process payment.)
M&M Cookie Ingredients
- Butter, melted
- Brown Sugar
- White Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
- All-Purpose Flour
- Cocoa Powder
- Baking Soda
- Cream of Tartar
- Christmas M&M (Full-size or Minis)
- Chocolate Chips, optional
Scroll down to the printable recipe card for full measurements.
Tip: add some Christmas sprinkles to the cookie dough for a festive touch.
Kitchen Tools You May Find Helpful
- Electric Mixer <– this is a great hand mixer if you don’t want to make the investment into a stand mixer
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Medium-sized mixing bowl
- Cookie Sheet <– you will want two so you can bake one tray while the other is cooling
- Parchment paper
- Cookie scoop
How to Make Double Chocolate M&M Cookies
In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and cream of tartar. Set aside.
In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugars together with an electric mixer for 2 minutes until light and creamy.
Beat in the eggs, vanilla and molasses until fully combined.
Beat in half of the flour mixture until no dry streaks remain, then add the second half of the flour mixture. Beat until completely uniform.
Stir in the Christmas M&Ms, adding more or less to personal taste. (You can also add chocolate chips at this time, if using.)
Refrigerate the cookie dough for at least 1 hour.
Pre-heat oven to 325ºF.
Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
Portion out the cookie dough onto the prepared sheets with a cookie scoop.
Bake for 12-15 minutes, until tops begin to crack and edges are set.
Allow to cool on the baking trays for 1-2 minutes, then transfer to wire cooling racks to finish cooling.
Grab your free printable recipe card for our Double Chocolate M&M Christmas Cookies recipe:
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon molasses
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 1/2 cups Christmas M&M Minis
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and cream of tartar. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugars together with an electric mixer for 2 minutes until light and creamy.
- Beat in the eggs, vanilla and molasses until fully combined.
- Beat in half of the flour mixture until no dry streaks remain, then add the second half of the flour mixture. Beat until completely uniform.
- Stir in the Christmas M&Ms, adding more or less to personal taste. (You can also add chocolate chips at this time, if using.)
- Refrigerate the cookie dough for at least 1 hour.
- Pre-heat oven to 325ºF.
- Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- Portion out the cookie dough onto the prepared sheets with a cookie scoop.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, until tops begin to crack and edges are set.
- Allow to cool on the baking trays for 1-2 minutes, then transfer to wire cooling racks to finish cooling.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Cream of Tartar, 2 Cups by Unpretentious Baker, Highest Quality USP & Food Grade, Better than Restaurant Quality, Non-GMO, Kosher, Gluten Free, Vegan, Slotted Cap Spice Shaker
Cookie Scoop Ice Cream Scoop Melon Scoop 18/8 Stainless Steel with Trigger Cupcake Scoops (#14)
M&M'S Holiday Milk Chocolate Christmas Candy, Party Size, 38 oz Resealable Bag
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 119Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 19mgSodium: 65mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 1gSugar: 12gProtein: 1g
Sugar, Spice and Glitter uses an auto-generate nutrition calculator. Nutrition information isn’t always accurate unless analyzed in a scientific lab, so these should be considered more of a guideline than medical information.
I hope your kids love getting to help you make (and eat) these cookies as much as mine did!
For more scrumptious cookies, check out our full cookie recipe collection here:
Or for more decadent desserts, check out our full dessert collection here: