A fun Rapunzel crafts for kids, these DIY Rapunzel Flip Flops are a fun way to decorate a plain pair of flip flops to give them a Disney flourish – so you can have Disney Store style on a dollar store budget!
Easy Rapunzel Craft for Kids
My daughter comes by her shoe obsession honestly. Once I graduated from high school and could wear something other than black Oxfords all day, I went through a serious shoe shopping phase… which basically lasted until I had my daughter and then had more responsible things to spend my money on.
A friend recently gifted her these super cute Moana sandals from the Disney store, which opened up a whole new world to my girl.
SHE COULD HAVE DISNEY SANDALS?! Why had I been depriving her of this knowledge for so long?
She started asking if she could have Mulan sandals, Tiana sandals, Rapunzel sandals… you know, so she could dress her feet to match whatever costume or princess she was feeling inspired by that day.
While one pair of Disney store sandals aren’t going to break the bank, for the little girl who wants options, this fun DIY sandals craft allows them to dress up a cheap pair of dollar store sandals to have some serious princess flair. Plus, when you’re spending about $2-3 on a pair of “fancy sandals,” you don’t have to worry about them getting dirty or ruined by normal kid activities and you can easily replace them by making a new pair if the sandals get completely ruined, or your child grows out of them quickly.
These Rapunzel Flip Flops would be a cute party activity or a great idea for a Rapunzel Movie Night.
And of course, you can customize your Disney sandals to match whichever princess you’d like:
- blue sandals, blue embroidery thread and acrylic gems for Cinderella
- green sandals, green embroidery thread and white lilies for Tiana (maybe even add a little frog bead)
- red sandals, gold embroidery thread and some cute beads (maybe a little dragon one) for Mulan
- red sandals, blue and white embroidery thread and little bird beads for Snow White, etc.
We actually made these flip flops a few summers ago (I’m just getting around to sharing them now), so I can confidently say that the decorations on these flip flops hold up to kids running and playing. The thread never became unravelled and the flowers never fell off, though towards the end of the summer the white flowers were no longer crisply white.
More Rapunzel Crafts for Kids
- DIY Rapunzel Braid Headband
- Best Day Ever DIY Screenprint Shirts
- Tangled-inspired Paper Lanterns from Inspired Motherhood
- Pressed Flower Candle Craft
- Spring Waldorf Hand Kite
- Rapunzel Tissue Paper Tower Craft from Mum’s Creative Cupboard
Materials to Make Rapunzel Flip Flops
- Flip Flops <– we used pink but purple or yellow will work
- Embroidery Thread <– I liked that this one transitioned from orange to yellow to white to give some visual interest, but just yellow would be good, too
- Fake Flowers
- Hot Glue and Hot Glue Gun
Tip: customize your colors, threads and embellishments to make a variety of princess-inspired sandals.
How to Make Rapunzel Sandals
Securely tie the end of your embroidery thread to the edge of the sandal strap.
Wrap the embroidery thread around the sandal strap tightly, leaving no gaps between the thread.
(You can also add dabs of glue as you go to keep the thread securely in place.)
Continue wrapping the embroidery thread until you cover the full sandal strap. Securely knot the thread and then use a dab of glue to secure the end of the thread.
Plan where you want the embellishments to go on your sandals and then glue them in place.
Repeat with second flip flop and allow the glue to dry completely before wearing.
Pin this Fun Disney Craft to bring some Princess Style to your child’s summer wardrobe:
Grab your free printable instructions for our DIY Rapunzel Flip Flops:
- Flip Flops
- Embroidery Thread
- Fake Flowers
- Hot Glue and Hot Glue Gun
- Securely tie the end of your embroidery thread to the edge of the sandal strap.
- Wrap the embroidery thread around the sandal strap tightly, leaving no gaps between the thread.
- (You can also add dabs of glue as you go to keep the thread securely in place.)
- Continue wrapping the embroidery thread until you cover the full sandal strap. Securely knot the thread and then use a dab of glue to secure the end of the thread.
- Plan where you want the embellishments to go on your sandals and then glue them in place.
- Repeat with second flip flop and allow the glue to dry completely before wearing.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Caydo Embroidery Floss 50 Skeins, Friendship Bracelets String with 12 Pieces Floss Bobbins
Havaianas Girls Slim Flip-Flop, Pink Flux, 3 Little Kid
KINWELL 100pcs Mini Artificial Silk Yellow Sunflower Heads 1.8" Fabric Floral for Home Decoration Wedding Decor, Bride Holding Flowers,Garden Craft Art Decor
I hope your kids love getting to make their own princess-inspired sandals – and you appreciate the budget savings of building their summer shoe collection for a fraction of the cost!
For more fun Disney inspiration, check out our full Disney Crafts collection here:
For more fun ideas for summer, check out our full Summer craft collection here: