A delicious no-bake dessert with a tangy, minty flavor, these Cream Cheese Mints are a classic for a reason!
Christmas Cream Cheese Mints Recipe
Cream Cheese Mints are one of those classic party recipes that are so incredibly easy to whip up but still really impress your guests.
You can customize the colors to suit any occasion by dividing the batter before dying it. They are a traditional recipe for weddings and Easter in many Christian cultures, and would also be a sweet option for a baby shower, bridal shower or birthday party – in addition to making a great homemade gift for the holidays.
These cream cheese mints are airy and light, just melting in your mouth to release a tangy, minty, sweet flavor that is both refreshing and satisfying. People are always shocked when I tell them that the mints are homemade and a little incredulous when I insist that they are super easy!
(You can always pretend that they were super hard to make and impress your guests with your culinary dedication…)
One important note with this recipe is that it is important to be light-handed with the mint extract. Mint can easily go from being lovely and refreshing… to being overpowering and tasting like you just swallowed a mouthful of mouthwash really quickly! Taste as you go and add more mint extract, if desired.
You can also swap out the mint extract for vanilla extract, raspberry extract, lemon extract, etc.
Do I have to use a piping bag to shape the mints? You can use a piping bag, or roll the mints into balls and flatten with a fork, or even shape using a silicone mold that has been dusted with powdered icing sugar. These homemade mints are so versatile, so use whichever method appeals to you for shaping them.
How do cream cheese mints differ from butter mints? Butter mints are another traditional homemade, soft mint recipe but they contain butter and cream. They lack the tang of cream cheese mints but both just melt in your mouth to create a sweet, minty cool sensation.
Do cream cheese mints need to be refrigerated? No, surprisingly these cream cheese mints do not need to be refrigerated. They can keep at room temperature for up to two weeks in a well-sealed container, or store in the fridge for up to one month.
Check out our quick video to see how easy these cream cheese mints are to make – and then don’t forget to scroll down to grab your free printable recipe card:
Cream Cheese Mint Ingredients
- Cream Cheese, softened
- Peppermint Extract
- Powdered Icing Sugar
- Food Coloring <– this set of food coloring has lasted me forever and I love that it creates highly saturated colors with just a drop
Scroll down to the printable recipe card for full measurements.
Tip: you can customize these mints to have different flavors or colors, as desired.
Kitchen Tools You May Find Helpful
- Electric mixer <– this is a great hand mixer if you don’t want to make the investment into a stand mixer
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Mixing Bowl
- Piping Bag fitted with a Star Tip <– a basic piping set will have all you need
How to Make Cream Cheese Mints
Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.
Place the softened cream cheese in a large bowl and beat until smooth with an electric mixer.
Add the peppermint extract, to taste, then half of the powdered icing sugar.
Beat to incorporate, then slowly beat in the remaining powdered icing sugar.
Color the cream cheese mixture with food coloring, if desired.
Fit a piping bag with a large star tip. Scoop the cream cheese mixture into the piping bag and cut off the tip of the piping bag.
Swirl 1/2 Tablespoon amounts of the cream cheese mixture into the prepared parchment paper-lined baking sheets to form small candies.
Allow the cream cheese mints to set at room temperature for 1.5 to 2 hours. Store in a sealed container at room temperature.
Grab your free printable recipe card for our homemade cream cheese mints recipe:
- 1 package cream cheese (250g), softened
- 5 1/2 cups powdered icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Food dye, optional
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.
- Place the softened cream cheese in a large bowl and beat until smooth with an electric mixer.
- Add the peppermint extract, to taste, then half of the powdered icing sugar.
- Beat to incorporate, then slowly beat in the remaining powdered icing sugar.
- Color the cream cheese mixture with food coloring, if desired.
- Fit a piping bag with a large star tip. Scoop the cream cheese mixture into the piping bag and cut off the tip of the piping bag.
- Swirl 1/2 Tablespoon amounts of the cream cheese mixture into the prepared parchment paper-lined baking sheets to form small candies.
- Allow the cream cheese mints to set at room temperature for 1.5 to 2 hours. Store in a sealed container at room temperature.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 67Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 7mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 0gSugar: 15gProtein: 0g
Sugar, Spice and Glitter uses an auto-generate nutrition calculator. Nutrition information isn’t always accurate unless analyzed in a scientific lab, so these should be considered more of a guideline than medical information.
These refreshing homemade mints are a delicious homemade gift for the holidays and a great option for parties.
For more fun no bake desserts, check out our full collection here:
Or check out our full collection of dessert recipes here: