A fun cookie recipe to make with the kids, these Maraschino Cherry-stuffed Cookies use cake mix to create a fluffy, tender cookie that just melts in your mouth!
Cherry-Stuffed Cake Mix Cookie Recipe
Ever since we learned how to make cake mix cookies, my daughter begs to make them on a regular basis.
They are so incredibly easy to make that she can really take the helm and do most of the recipe by herself, with just a little bit of guidance (and some help when it comes to the oven).
While you can just make the dough and pop it in the oven, one of our favorite things to do with cake mix cookies is to stuff them with other goodies! We’ve done marshmallows, peanut butter cups, thin mints, OREOs – it was about time we added a cherry version!
The pop of cherry flavor in the center of these tender vanilla cookies is a welcome surprise, and that drizzle of cherry icing on top is quite literally, the cherry on top!
The best part about this recipe is that it comes together super quickly. While most sugar cookie doughs have to be refrigerated before you bake, this dough takes a couple minutes to whip together, and then you just portion, stuff and bake them. Super quick and easy.
More Cherry Dessert Recipes
- No-Churn Cherry Garcia Ice Cream (with Video)
- Cherry Chocolate Dessert Lasagna
- Cherry Cobbler from Jo Cooks
- Cherry Lemonade
- Cherry Hand Pies
- Cherry Pie Crumb Bars from Crunchy Creamy Sweet
- Cherry Coke Cupcakes
Cake Mix Cookie Ingredients
- Vanilla Cake Mix
- Cream Cheese, softened
- Butter, softened
- Maraschino Cherries
- Powdered Icing Sugar
- Maraschino Cherry Juice <– can use grenadine, but I just use the cherry juice from the jar
Tip: swap out the vanilla cake mix for chocolate if you’d prefer a chocolate-covered cherry version.
Kitchen Tools You May Find Helpful
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Mixing Bowl
- Electric mixer <– this is a great hand mixer if you don’t want to make the investment into a stand mixer
- Cookie Scoop
- Cookie Sheet
- Parchment Paper or Silicone Baking Mat
- Fork or Whisk
- Cooling racks <– I have and love these tiered cooling racks, they save so much counter space and are also oven-safe
How to Make Cake Mix Cookies
Preheat oven to 350F
Mix together cake mix, cream cheese, butter and egg.
Portion into 1 1/2 Tablespoon-sized balls (I used a cookie scoop to help with this). You should end up with approximately 20 cookie balls.
Take one ball and flatten it in your hand. Place the cherry on top and fold the cookie dough around the cherry (carefully) to cover it completely.
Repeat with remaining cookie dough.
Bake in preheated oven for 10-12 minutes, until cracked and no longer glossy.
Cool the cookies on a cooling rack as you prepare the drizzle.
Mix together the sugar and maraschino cherry juice – starting with 3 Tablespoons and adding more to get a runny yet still somewhat thick texture.
Drizzle the pink cherry drizzle over the cookies and allow to set before serving or packaging.
Pin this easy Cake Mix Cookie recipe:
Grab your free printable for our cherry-stuffed cake mix cookie recipe:
A tender, fluffy and delicious cherry-stuffed cookie recipe made with cake mix! These cake mix cookies are super fun and easy for kids to make and there are so many ways to play with this recipe by changing the cake mix flavor or what you stuff the cookies with.
- 1 box vanilla cake mix
- 4 oz (1/2 brick) cream cheese
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 20 maraschino cherries
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 3-5 Tablespoons maraschino cherry juice (or grenadine)
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Mix together cake mix, cream cheese, butter and egg.
- Portion into 1 1/2 Tablespoon-sized balls (I used a cookie scoop to help with this). You should end up with approximately 20 cookie balls.
- Take one ball and flatten it in your hand. Place the cherry on top and fold the cookie dough around the cherry (carefully) to cover it completely.
- Repeat with remaining cookie dough.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10-12 minutes, until cracked and no longer glossy.
- Cool the cookies on a cooling rack as you prepare the drizzle.
- Mix together the sugar and maraschino cherry juice - starting with 3 Tablespoons and adding more to get a runny yet still somewhat thick texture.
- Drizzle the pink cherry drizzle over the cookies and allow to set before serving or packaging.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 159Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 19mgSodium: 219mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 0gSugar: 18gProtein: 2g
Sugar, Spice and Glitter uses an auto-generate nutrition calculator. Nutrition information isn’t always accurate unless analyzed in a scientific lab, so these should be considered more of a guideline than medical information.
I hope your kids love getting to help make these cherry-stuffed cake mix cookies as much as mine did!
For more fun cake mix hack recipes, check out our Peanut Butter Cup Stuffed Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies or our Pistachio Pudding Cake.