Creamy Italian Sausage Soup (with VIDEO)
Our latest homemade soup recipe is today’s delicious and creamy Italian Sausage Soup chock full of veggies and protein that tastes absolutely restaurant-quality.
Italian Sausage Soup Recipe
Whether you’re warming your bones in the winter, or just don’t want to cook in the heat of the summer, soup is always a good idea.
Soup is one of my go-to meal prep solutions. I can make a big batch, freeze some, or just dole it out over a couple of days. If I need a to stretch it out to make a few more servings, I just need to add a bit more broth and some extra seasoning (no need to double ALL of the ingredients).
Unlike most meals that you can plan to have leftovers for, I find that soup doesn’t decrease in quality the next day. If anything, the flavor is often better and more fully developed after a day in the fridge than it is when you first make it.
I also love how versatile it is – it can be a filling entree, a satisfying appetizer, or a light lunch. It’s all about what you add to your soup, what you pair with it, and of course, the serving size.
Check out our other soup recipes here:
There’s also something so comforting about digging into a big bowl of soup – especially a healthy, filling bowl of soup like this Creamy Italian Sausage Soup.
Often, people like to add pasta (like tortellinis) to their creamy Italian soups, but when I’m serving this I want no filler – just protein and vegetables. (Of course, feel free to customize this recipe however you see fit – just because I don’t add pasta doesn’t mean you can’t!) Skipping the pasta and sticking to sausage and veggies makes this soup super filling and satisfying.
How to Make Creamy Italian Soup Without Cream: I’ve also experimented with this recipe a bit to see how to keep it creamy while cutting down on cheese or cream. You need one cup of milk or cream to get that creamy consistency, but you can skip the cheese. I like to just add a sprinkle of it for flavor, but it is not necessary to enhance the creamy texture.
Can you freeze this soup: Yes, you can freeze the soup BEFORE adding cream. So if you want to make a double batch and enjoy half now and freeze half for later, remove half of the soup to your freezer container after the flour step but before the cream step. Freezing the soup after the cream is added is not suggested. (Read this post from Can You Freeze This if you’d like more information about why freezing cream in soup isn’t ideal. It’s mostly a texture issue.)
What to Serve with Creamy Italian Soup:
- Instant Pot Bread
- Caprese Salad Recipe from my friend Trisha over at Salty Side Dish
- Pull-Apart Garlic Bread
- Ina Garten’s Panzanella Salad
- Rosemary Focaccia Bread from Gimme Some Oven
Check out our quick recipe video to see just how easy it is to make this Creamy Italian Sausage and Spinach Soup, and then don’t forget to scroll down below to grab your free printable recipe:
Italian Sausage Soup Ingredients
- Mild Italian or Country-style Sausage – you can make this soup with ground beef or turkey, but I have always made it with ground pork
- Italian seasoning
- Yellow Onion
- Garlic, chopped
- Carrots, chopped
- Chicken broth
- Heavy cream, 35%
- All-purpose flour
- Parmesan cheese, optional
Scroll down to the printable recipe card for full measurements.
Tip: you can swap out the heavy cream for your preferred type of milk or cream.
Kitchen Tools You May Find Helpful
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Cutting board
- Sharp kitchen knife
- Stockpot <– a sturdy stockpot allows you to make everything from bone broth, to creamy soups like this. Small soup pots that come with standard sets limit what you can make at home
How to Make Creamy Italian Soup
Place your stockpot over medium heat and cook the sausage until no longer pink, approximately 6 minutes, stirring occasionally to break up the sausage.
Meanwhile, chop your vegetables and measure out your other ingredients.
Remove the cooked sausage to a bowl or plate and add the onions, garlic and carrots to the stockpot. Cook until onions are translucent, approximately 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the sausage, broth and seasoning to the stock pot and then slowly stir in your spinach. The spinach will reduce as cooks so it may take a couple minutes to incorporate it all.
Remove 1 cup of broth from the stockpot and add to a small bowl. Stir in the flour to form a slurry. When the flour is fully incorporated, add the slurry to the stockpot.
Add the cream and allow to cook for at least 2 minutes before reducing heat. Add Parmesan to personal taste – this reduces the need for additional salt in this recipe, but is completely optional.
Pin this Creamy Italian Sausage Soup recipe:
Grab your free printable for our creamy Italian sausage soup recipe:
Creamy Italian Sausage Soup
A creamy Italian sausage and spinach soup with incredible flavor and plenty of veggies.
- 1 lb Italian or Country-style Sausage
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, optional
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2-3 carrots, chopped
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream, 35%
- 1/4 cup flour
- 4 cups spinach
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, optional
- Place your stockpot over medium heat and cook the sausage until no longer pink, approximately 6 minutes, stirring occasionally to break up the sausage.
- Meanwhile, chop your vegetables and measure out your other ingredients.
- Remove the cooked sausage to a bowl or plate and add the onions, garlic and carrots to the stockpot. Cook until onions are translucent, approximately 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the sausage, broth and seasoning to the stock pot and then slowly stir in your spinach. The spinach will reduce as cooks so it may take a couple minutes to incorporate it all.
- Remove 1 cup of broth from the stockpot and add to a small bowl. Stir in the flour to form a slurry. When the flour is fully incorporated, add the slurry to the stockpot.
- Add the cream and allow to cook for at least 2 minutes before reducing heat. Add Parmesan to personal taste - this reduces the need for additional salt in this recipe, but is completely optional.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Cuisinart 77-412 Chef's Classic Stainless 4-Piece 12-Quart Pasta/Steamer Set
Chef's Knife Cook Utility Knives Set 2 KIWI Brand 171,172 Cutlery Steak Wood Handle Kitchen Tool Sharp Blade 6.5" Stainless Steel
New Star Foodservice 42917 Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons and Measuring Cups Combo, Set of 8
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 463Total Fat: 38gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 99mgSodium: 1579mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 4gSugar: 5gProtein: 17g
Sugar, Spice and Glitter uses an auto-generate nutrition calculator. Nutrition information isn’t always accurate unless analyzed in a scientific lab, so these should be considered more of a guideline than medical information.
This delicious and creamy Italian sausage soup is a filling and healthy meal the whole family will love.
For more delicious soup recipes, check out our Easy Homemade Potato Soup or our Sweet Roasted Butternut Squash Soup.