Blue Cheese Salad Dressing
Make this restaurant-worthy Homemade Blue Cheese Salad Dressing in less than 5 minutes to make even the most boring salad absolutely crave-worthy!
Best Blue Cheese Salad Dressing Recipe
I adore vintage, nostalgic recipes and one of my favorites is the classic wedge salad.
I make it often. Really, really often. To the point that one of my daughter’s first words was “boo cheese.” Because, really, the best part of any wedge salad is that creamy, luscious blue cheese dressing.
Since I use it so often, I thought I’d try my hand at making our own blue cheese dressing and after several trials and errors, today’s recipe is ready to share.
This blue cheese dressing is rich, creamy with the unmistakable tang of buttermilk and blue cheese. The sharpness of the blue cheese is mellowed out by the use of mayonnaise and sour cream in the dressing, while apple cider vinegar and a pinch of garlic powder add a hit of acidity that helps cut the richness a bit.
As with most sauces and salad dressing, the flavours of this 5-minute salad dressing improves after sitting in the fridge overnight.
What is blue cheese dressing good with? We use this homemade blue cheese dressing on salads, steaks or as a dip with everything from veggies to chicken wings and chicken tenders.
Other Uses for Blue Cheese:
- use as a swap for coleslaw dressing with coleslaw mix (my daughter’s favourite)
- use in place of mayo in potato or egg salads
- toss with roasted veggies
- use as a dressing for homemade pasta salad
- use as a pizza dipping sauce
- use as a dip for chicken wings, french fries, onion rings or veggies
- serve with chips or pretzels
- use as a sandwich spread
Is blue cheese a healthy dressing? Our homemade blue cheese dressing recipe is significantly lower in calories than a lot of commercial dressings and skips added sugar. However, it’s not a significant source of nutrients.
How long is this homemade blue cheese good for? This homemade blue cheese dressing is best enjoyed within one week of making it. Store in the fridge in an airtight dressing bottle or mason jar.
More Homemade Salad Dressings:
- Green Goddess Salad Dressing
- Honey Mustard Salad Dressing
- Creamy Pumpkin Salad Dressing
- Lemon Olive Oil Salad Dressing
- Orange Poppyseed Salad Dressing
- Avocado Ranch Salad Dressing
- Creamy Italian Salad Dressing
- Mango Jalapeño Salad Dressing from Kylee Cooks
- Balsamic Salad Dressing from A Spicy Perspective
Blue Cheese Salad Dressing Ingredients
- Sour Cream
- Buttermilk <– I always have this powdered buttermilk in my fridge to make instant buttermilk whenever I need it.
- Garlic Powder
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Blue Cheese Crumbles
Scroll down to the printable recipe card for full measurements.
Tip: You can either mix the blue cheese dressing in a bowl by hand, or combine in a smoothie-style blender.
Kitchen Tools You May Find Helpful
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Small Bowl
- Spatula <– I like these spatulas because they are one solid piece and don’t have removable heads for bacteria to get trapped underneath. Plus they are heat-resistant and have a lifetime warranty.
How to Make Blue Cheese Salad Dressing
In a large bowl, beat together the mayonnaise and sour cream until smooth and combined.
Add in the buttermilk, salt, pepper, garlic powder and apple cider vinegar until incorporated.
Beat in the blue cheese crumbles until mostly combined – some small clumps can remain, to personal preference.
Taste and adjust to your personal preferences.
Pin this Easy Blue Cheese Salad recipe to make your next homemade salad indulgent yet healthy:
Grab your free printable recipe card for our blue cheese salad dressing recipe:
Blue Cheese Salad Dressing
- 1/4 cup Mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Sour Cream
- 1/4 cup Buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 oz Blue Cheese Crumbles
- In a large bowl, beat together the mayonnaise and sour cream until smooth and combined.
- Add in the buttermilk, salt, pepper, garlic powder and apple cider vinegar until incorporated.
- Beat in the blue cheese crumbles until mostly combined - some small clumps can remain, to personal preference.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 57Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 7mgSodium: 170mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 1g
Sugar, Spice and Glitter uses an auto-generate nutrition calculator. Nutrition information isn’t always accurate unless analyzed in a scientific lab, so these should be considered more of a guideline than medical information.
I hope your family loves this easy buttermilk blue cheese dressing as much as mine does.
For more homemade pantry staples, check out our full pantry staples recipe collection here:
For more delicious salads, check out our full salad recipe collection here: