Shrimp Pumpkin Curry
A delicious homemade curry recipe, this Shrimp Pumpkin Curry is a flavorful, rich meal perfect for fall!
Pumpkin Curry Recipe
My pet peeve in baking and cooking is all of the leftover ingredients that start to pile up after a few recipes.
So many recipes require half a can of something, or just a smidge of a container of something else. Then you’re left with all these ingredients that you have no planned use for but need to use up in the near future or else you feel completely wasteful. (Or is that just me?)
There are so many delicious pumpkin baking recipes that I use in the fall that don’t use up a full can of pumpkin, so I’ve had to come up with some creative ways to use it up.
Sometimes I make my pumpkin hot chocolate (which just requires a couple tablespoons) or let my daughter use it up with some pumpkin play dough or pumpkin slime. But this pumpkin curry recipe is a new favorite. It can be made with chicken or shrimp and whatever veggies you have kicking around.
It’s a super versatile recipe that you can really tweak to your own liking. It has that perfect sweet-savory-earthy flavor profile and I love the tender pumpkin contrasted to the snap of the shrimp and the perfectly cooked veggies. It’s a perfect fall comfort food dish for curry fans.
Ingredients for Pumpkin Curry
- Olive oil
- Curry Powder (of choice)
- Canned Pumpkin
- Coconut Milk
- Broth or Water <– grab our recipe for Instant Pot Chicken Broth
- Shrimp, peeled
- Bell Pepper, chopped
- Sugar Snap Peas
- Cooked Rice
Scroll down to the printable recipe card for full measurements.
Kitchen Tools You May Find Helpful
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Spatula <– I like these spatulas because they are one solid piece and don’t have removable heads for bacteria to get trapped underneath. Plus they are heat-resistant and have a lifetime warranty.
- Cast Iron Skillet <– I love the versatility of a good cast-iron pan – you can make everything from eggs to dessert in them and they transition easily from the stove to the oven. This one is pre-seasoned and great for even heating
How to Make Pumpkin Curry
Set a skillet over medium heat and add the oil. Once hot, add the chopped onion and curry powder. Saute until onion is translucent, about 2 minutes. Add pumpkin and use a spatula to smoosh it down.
Add chopped veggies and shrimp and cook until shrimp is curled and cooked through.
Add the coconut milk and vegetable broth and stir together, before adding the cooked rice.
Cover and let it simmer over medium heat for another 5 minutes.
Taste and adjust the seasoning, as desired.
Pin this easy Pumpkin Curry Recipe:
Grab your free printable for our easy pumpkin shrimp curry recipe:
Shrimp Pumpkin Curry
A quick and easy shrimp pumpkin curry - a delicious and unexpected fall meal recipe, this pumpkin curry comes together in less than 20 minutes
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons Curry Powder (of choice)
- 1 cup pumpkin
- 1 14oz can coconut milk
- 1 cup broth or water
- 2 cups shrimp, peeled
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup sugar snap peas
- 2-4 cups cooked rice
- Set a skillet over medium heat and add the oil.
- Once hot, add the chopped onion and curry powder. Saute until onion is translucent, about 2 minutes.
- Add pumpkin and use a spatula to smoosh it down.
- Add chopped veggies and shrimp and cook until shrimp is curled and cooked through.
- Add the coconut milk and vegetable broth and stir together, before adding the cooked rice.
- Cover and let it simmer over medium heat for another 5 minutes.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning, as desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 694Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 20gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 155mgSodium: 795mgCarbohydrates: 106gFiber: 4gSugar: 6gProtein: 31g
Sugar, Spice and Glitter uses an auto-generate nutrition calculator. Nutrition information isn’t always accurate unless analyzed in a scientific lab, so these should be considered more of a guideline than medical information.
For more delicious shrimp recipes, check out our Kansas City BBQ Bacon Shrimp or our Shrimp Cashew Stir Fry.