Whether you’re having a smaller get-together for the holidays or just want something special for a Sunday supper, this Roasted Turkey Breast fits the bill perfectly with golden, crispy skin and a classic lemon-herb seasoning.
Roasted Turkey Breast Recipe
I usually opt for a full-sized turkey for the holidays, no matter how many people are coming for dinner, just so I can make all of my favorite leftover turkey recipes.
However, a roast turkey breast is a lot easier, cooks faster and perfect if you don’t have a ton of space in the fridge to thaw out your turkey for two days. It’s especially perfect if your family is anything like mine and expects both a ham and a turkey for the holidays. (And let us not forget the lasagna and a million sides they will also be expecting!)
Plus, who’s to say that turkey is only for the holidays!? This recipe is perfect for a special family supper any time of year, or to meal prep some lean protein for lunches.
Roast Turkey Breasts are also a lot more budget friendly when you’re shelling out for the holidays. This Butterball Turkey Breast cost me less than $8 while my whole Butterball Turkey was over $30! It had enough meat to serve 4-5 people, which was just perfect for us.
Bonus: This roast turkey breast will still give you enough turkey drippings to make our homemade turkey gravy recipe.
Tips for the BEST Roast Turkey Breast
- Use a spoon to separate the turkey skin from the turkey breast and then rub butter under the skin for amazing flavor and crispy skin.
- Don’t add lemon juice directly to the turkey as it can make some servings of the turkey too tart, instead add a quartered lemon to the roasting pan to impart a subtle lemon flavor throughout the whole turkey breast.
- Roast your turkey skin side-up to ensure the skin gets crispy.
- Use a meat thermometer to ensure your turkey reaches 160F before removing from the oven – it will continue to heat up to 165F as it rests. This is the meat thermometer I have been using for the past 6 years – I’ve never had to change a battery and it’s super sturdy and reliable. It was a bit pricey, but unlike the $15 models that you can buy, this one isn’t going to need replacement. It is waterproof and comes with a two-year warranty. (Thermoworks also has a $15 pocket-sized model if you want to try that out first before investing in the MK4.)
- Allow the turkey to rest for 5-10 minutes, covered with tinfoil, before carving to prevent the juices from running out.
Roast Turkey Breast Ingredients
- Onion, peeled and quartered
- Garlic, edges cut off
- Lemon, sliced
- Chicken Broth (or turkey broth) <– you can swap this out for white wine, if desired. Grab our recipe for Instant Pot Chicken Broth
- Turkey Breast
- Poultry Seasoning <– check out our recipe for homemade poultry seasoning
- Olive Oil
Scroll down to the printable recipe card for full measurements.
Tip: cook the turkey breast for 15-20 minutes per pound of turkey.
Kitchen Tools You May Find Helpful
- Roasting Pan or Casserole Dish
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Sharp kitchen knife
- Spoon, for separating the turkey skin from the turkey breast
How to Roast Turkey Breast in the Oven
Preheat oven to 400F
Place onion, garlic and lemon in a casserole dish or roasting pan large enough for your turkey breast.
Add the chicken broth to the dish.
Pat the turkey breast dry with kitchen paper towel and place in the casserole dish.
Use a spoon or your fingers to pull the turkey skin away from the flesh.
Insert the butter in between the turkey skin and flesh.
Rub the poultry seasoning all over the turkey breast, then drizzle with olive oil.
Bake for 35-45 minutes, until an inserted meat thermometer reads 160F.
Allow the turkey breast to rest for 10 minutes. It will increase in temperature the remaining 5F.
Slice and serve.
Grab your free printable for our easy oven roasted turkey breast recipe:
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 head garlic, edges cut off
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 1/2 cup chicken broth (or turkey broth) <-- you can swap this out for white wine, if desired
- 2-3lb turkey breast
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1 Tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Place onion, garlic and lemon in a casserole dish or roasting pan large enough for your turkey breast.
- Add the chicken broth to the dish.
- Pat the turkey breast dry with kitchen paper towel and place in the casserole dish.
- Use a spoon or your fingers to pull the turkey skin away from the flesh.
- Insert the butter in between the turkey skin and flesh.
- Rub the poultry seasoning all over the turkey breast, then drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes, until an inserted meat thermometer reads 160F.
- Allow the turkey breast to rest for 10 minutes. It will increase in temperature the remaining 5F.
- Slice and serve.
Bake your turkey breast for 15-20minutes per pound.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 418Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 147mgSodium: 207mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 49g
Sugar, Spice and Glitter uses an auto-generate nutrition calculator. Nutrition information isn’t always accurate unless analyzed in a scientific lab, so these should be considered more of a guideline than medical information.
This classic recipe for oven roasted turkey breast is perfect for small gatherings or a special family supper. It yields juicy, tender turkey with golden, crispy skin.