A fun fruit recipe kids can make, these Rainbow Fruit and Yogurt Parfaits make a delicious breakfast or healthy dessert option and are a great way to introduce new fruits to kids in a colorful, rainbow treat!
Fruit and Yogurt Parfait Recipe
Like most kids, my daughter loves everything rainbow and unicorns, so getting to make her own rainbow fruit parfaits was such an exciting idea.
Each layer of fruit is followed by a light layer of Greek yogurt, which can be flavored with vanilla, maple syrup or honey. It’s so satisfying and almost reminds me of a cheater cheesecake. The different layers of fruit provides a variety of flavor experiences that keeps these parfaits interesting right until the very last spoonful.
This started out as a fun Saturday morning breakfast that I made with Ella, but I also replicated the activity with my daycare kids. For them, I prepared all of the fruit beforehand and just focused on assembling their parfaits with them.
These rainbow parfaits are a great way to introduce new fruits to kids. Not only are most kids so excited to try anything that they get a chance to make, the whole concept of “eating the rainbow” is really fun and exciting.
If kids are apprehensive, I encourage them to taste the fruit as they are assembling their parfaits. If they don’t like something, they don’t have to include it – but at least they tried it!
The parfaits are best enjoyed immediately after assembling, or at least within a few hours. The fruit will soften if left in the yogurt for more than a day.
If you need to prep this recipe in advance, I would prep the fruit and yogurt separately, and then just assemble shortly before serving. It’s a great option for a special breakfast or healthy dessert.
If you want to make them a bit more indulgent, you could add some cookie crumbs to each layer to really make them taste like a cheater cheesecake!
More Healthy Rainbow Recipes:
Check out Ella’s video of how she made her rainbow fruit and yogurt parfaits – and then don’t forget to scroll down to grab your free printable recipe:
Fruit Yogurt Parfait Ingredients
- Strawberries <– can use raspberries or cherries
- Mandarins <– can use cantaloupe
- Mango <– can use pineapple
- Kiwi <– can use honeydew melon or green grapes
- Purple Grapes <– can use blackberries
- Greek Yogurt
- Honey or Maple Syrup, optional
- Vanilla Extract, optional
Scroll down to the printable recipe card for full measurements.
Tip: swap out the fruits listed above for your own personal favorites.
Kitchen Tools You May Find Helpful
- Cutting Board
- Kid-safe Knife
- Parfait Glasses <– we used stemless wine glasses
How to Make Rainbow Fruit and Yogurt Parfaits
Prepare the fruit and cut into bite-sized pieces. (Hull and quarter the strawberries, peel and segment the mandarins, etc.)
If desired, stir the optional honey or vanilla extract into the yogurt, to taste.
Layer the fruit in your chosen parfait glasses with 2-3 Tablespoons of yogurt in between each layer of fruit. Start with the purple grapes at the bottom, then a layer of yogurt, then the blueberries, and so on.
Refrigerate until ready to serve. Best enjoyed the same day.
Grab your free printable recipe card for our fruit and yogurt parfait recipe:
- 1 cup Strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 1 cup Mandarins, peeled and segmented
- 1 cup Mango, chopped
- 1 cup Kiwi, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup Blueberries
- 1 cup Purple Grapes, seeds removed and cut in half
- 2 cups Greek Yogurt
- 1 Tablespoon Honey or Maple Syrup, optional
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract, optional
- Prepare the fruit and cut into bite-sized pieces. (Hull and quarter the strawberries, peel and segment the mandarins, etc.)
- If desired, stir the optional honey or vanilla extract into the yogurt, to taste.
- Layer the fruit in your chosen parfait glasses with 2-3 Tablespoons of yogurt in between each layer of fruit. Start with the purple grapes at the bottom, then a layer of yogurt, then the blueberries, and so on.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve. Best enjoyed the same day.
Swap out any of the fruit mentioned above for your chosen fruit in the same color.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Ocean Spray Red Seedless Grapes, 2 lb
Wyman's of Maine, Wild Blueberries, 3 Pound (Packaging May Vary)
Organic Green Kiwis, 1 lb
Strawberries, 1 lb
Wonderful Halos Mandarins, 3lb Bag
Dole Frozen, Mango Chunks, 16oz
5.6 Ounce Glass Tulip Sundae Cup and Ice Cream Dessert Cup,Soda Glass Set of 6 pack
365 by Whole Foods Market, Organic Pure 100% Grade A Maple Syrup, Dark Color Robust Taste, 32 Fl Oz
Amazon Brand - Happy Belly Greek Whole Milk Plain Yogurt, 32 Ounce
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 239Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 6mgSodium: 46mgCarbohydrates: 47gFiber: 5gSugar: 38gProtein: 14g
Sugar, Spice and Glitter uses an auto-generate nutrition calculator. Nutrition information isn’t always accurate unless analyzed in a scientific lab, so these should be considered more of a guideline than medical information.
I hope your kids love getting to make (and eat) their own rainbow parfaits as much as mine did!