A delicious, light and tender bakery-style muffin, these Jumbo Blueberry Muffins are the perfect breakfast indulgence or a thoughtful homemade gift for a friend who deserves a bit of a treat.
Jumbo Blueberry Muffin Recipe
Without fail, anytime that I buy a single pint of blueberries, they are gobbled up within a day.
Whenever I try to ensure we have enough to last all week and buy two or three pints, no one is interested in blueberries… and I’m left scrambling to use them up before they dry out.
These jumbo blueberry muffins were the result of one such scramble. I used my best ever blueberry muffin recipe but made them GIANT and added a light sugar topping for some added crunch. The result is a bakery-quality muffin that rivals anything you can buy for $3 to go with your morning coffee.
These scrumptious lemon blueberry muffins use maple syrup and white sugar to achieve a dimensional sweetness that is satisfying without being cupcake-like. The combination of buttermilk, lemon zest and cinnamon with the blueberries balances out the sweetness with tang and warmth, making every last bite completely irresistible.
For best results, ensure that all of your ingredients are room temperature before making these muffins. Set everything out about a half hour before you plan to make them to ensure they are at the optimal temperature. (If the eggs and milk are not room temperature when you make these, they will not emulsify correctly and will result in a dense, heavy muffin texture and also a more muddled flavor profile.)
Feel free to swap out the blueberries with any other favorite berry or chopped fruit – cherries, strawberries, etc.
Can these blueberry muffins be frozen? Yes, you can freeze these muffins for up to three months. Bake and allow the muffins to cool completely. Place in a single layer in an airtight freezer bag or your favorite freezer containers. (If you need to layer up the muffins, place a sheet of parchment or wax paper in between the layers to prevent the muffins from sticking together.)
How can I add a streusel topping to blueberry muffins? A crumb topping would be mouth-watering on these muffins. Using a fork, combine:
- 1 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Cinnamon
- 6 Tablespoons Butter, melted
Sprinkle the crumb topping on each muffin and press gently into place before baking.
Check out our quick recipe video to see how easy these jumbo blueberry muffins are to make – and then don’t forget to scroll down to grab your free printable recipe card:
More Blueberry Recipes:
- Natural Blueberry Lemonade
- Blueberry Jalapeño Salsa
- Blueberry Muffins
- Blueberry Cobbler Bars from Your Cup of Cake
- Blueberry Macarons
- Blueberry Steak Salad with Chimichurri
- Easy Blueberry Clafoutis from The Gingered Whisk
- Blueberry Pie Ice Cream
- Sugar-free Blueberry Pie
Jumbo Blueberry Muffin Ingredients
- Melted Butter
- Eggs, room temperature
- Buttermilk, room temperature <– can use milk with 1 tsp lemon juice. I always have this powdered buttermilk in my fridge to make instant buttermilk whenever I need it.
- All-Purpose Flour
- White Sugar
- Maple Syrup
- Baking Powder
- Lemon Zest
Scroll down to the printable recipe card for full measurements.
Tip: frozen blueberries can be used in this recipe, just ensure they don’t have any frost on them. You don’t have to wait for them to thaw completely before using.
Kitchen Tools You May Find Helpful
- Jumbo Muffin Tin
- Jumbo Muffin Liners
- Mixing bowl
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Wooden spoon or Spatula <– I like these spatulas because they are one solid piece and don’t have removable heads for bacteria to get trapped underneath. Plus they are heat-resistant and have a lifetime warranty.
- Mixing Bowl
- Cooling racks
How to Make Jumbo Blueberry Muffins
Preheat oven to 375ºF.
In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the melted butter, eggs and buttermilk together until fully incorporated, about 2 minutes.
Sprinkle 2 Tablespoons of the flour onto the blueberries and stir to coat, set aside.
In a separate bowl, stir the remaining flour, baking powder, 1/2 cup of the sugar, salt, and cinnamon.
Slowly add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, being careful not to overmix. Swirl in the maple syrup and the lemon zest. Adjust the cinnamon, if desired.
Now, gently stir in the blueberries.
Portion the muffin batter into prepared liners, filling them about 3/4 of the way full.
Sprinkle each muffin with a pinch of sugar.
Bake 22-26 minutes until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Grab your free printable recipe card for our jumbo blueberry muffins:
- 1/2 cup Melted Butter
- 2 Eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup Buttermilk, room temperature
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup White Sugar Plus 2 Tablespoons
- 3 tablespoons Maple Syrup
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- Pinch Salt
- Pinch Cinnamon
- Pinch Lemon Zest
- 1 cup Blueberries
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the melted butter, eggs and buttermilk together until fully incorporated, about 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle 2 Tablespoons of the flour onto the blueberries and stir to coat, set aside.
- In a separate bowl, stir the remaining flour, baking powder, 1/2 cup of the sugar, salt, and cinnamon.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, being careful not to overmix. Swirl in the maple syrup and the lemon zest. Adjust the cinnamon, if desired.
- Now, gently stir in the blueberries.
- Portion the muffin batter into prepared liners, filling them about 3/4 of the way full.
- Sprinkle each muffin with a pinch of sugar.
- Bake 22-26 minutes until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 212Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 52mgSodium: 186mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 1gSugar: 13gProtein: 4g
Sugar, Spice and Glitter uses an auto-generate nutrition calculator. Nutrition information isn’t always accurate unless analyzed in a scientific lab, so these should be considered more of a guideline than medical information.
I hope you love these jumbo blueberry muffins as much as me and my friends do – they might even save you some money on those bakery cravings!
For more beautiful breads, check out our full bread recipe collection here:
For more breakfast ideas, check out our full breakfast recipe collection here:
For more great lunch ideas, check out our full lunch box recipe collection here: