The perfect Instant Pot Italian Beef recipe, these Instant Pot Italian Hot Beef Sandwiches taste like they are straight from Chicago, from the convenience of your kitchen!
Instant Pot Italian Beef Sandwich Recipe
Ella and I try to make it to Chicago at least once a year, but it usually ends up being closer to three or four times a year!
I love so much about the city! It has so much to do for kids, tons of amazing food, and it’s so much more affordable to visit than other big cities.
One of my favorite Chicago foods is an Italian Beef or Hot Beef Sandwich. The most famous version is (arguably) from Al’s Beef, a Chicago institution since 1938 and the “originator” of the Italian Sandwich stance – meant to keep any dripping juices or beef off of your clothes. (It’s HILARIOUS.)
If you’ve never had a hot beef sandwich, it’s a lot like a French Dip, but without the cheese, a bit spicier and messier, and usually includes Italian-inspired toppings like pickled vegetables or spicy Giardiniera. Unlike a French Dip, which you simply “dip” in au jus, an Italian Beef has the cooking liquid ladled over the finished sandwich (or the whole sandwich is completely dipped in it), making sure every part of the sandwich is absolutely delicious.
Their version of this sandwich chops the meat a lot smaller than mine (it’s almost minced) but this sandwich definitely delivers on the most important aspect of the hot beef sandwich: the flavor!
Buttered and toasted buns. Juicy, flavorful beef. Pickled peppers (or Giardiniera). And, of course, a side serving of those delicious cooking juices to dip your sandwich in – just for good measure.
How to Make Perfect Pot Roast in the Instant Pot
The first step to making these hot beef sandwiches is to cook the roast. There are several small steps that add up to make this pot roast incredible:
- Brown (sear) the pot roast all over before eating to lock in those natural juices
- Season the beef generously – we used a homemade Italian seasoning to avoid excessive salt or unnatural ingredients
- Use a mix of beef broth and pepper juice to make a delicious cooking liquid
- Let the instant pot natural release to finish off the cooking process
- No need for an expensive cut of meat – you can use tough cuts and they will still come out fork-tender!
- Bigger Instant Pots (I use a 6qt) may require a longer cooking time and more cooking liquid to achieve the desired tenderness – up to 90 minutes
- You can even cook a roast from frozen, adding 20-30 minutes of cooking time
What’s the best cut of meat to use for Italian beef sandwiches? Because the Instant Pot is going to break down the beef so it’s easy to shred, you don’t need to use an expensive cut of beef. A boneless chuck roast is ideal, but feel free to use what’s available and cheap at your grocery store or butcher.
How spicy are these Italian Hot Beef Sandwiches? They aren’t too spicy until you dip the sandwich into the cooking liquid. However, that said, the heat is totally customizable by reducing or eliminating the peppers called for in the recipe. My 8 year old daughter doesn’t mind the sandwiches without the dip, but she finds the dip too spicy.
Also, my friend Corinne just put out an Instant Pot ecookbook for just $4.99! I have tried a few of the recipes myself and they are delicious and family friendly. I highly recommend it for a reliable collection of Instant Pot recipes to help you fall in love with your IP (if you haven’t already).
Instant Pot Italian Beef Ingredients
- Beef roast
- Olive oil
- Garlic salt or garlic powder – I usually use dehydrated garlic whenever a recipe calls for garlic powder or garlic salt
- Onion powder
- Italian seasoning
- Celery salt
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Beef broth – there are debates if broth or bouillon are more authentic, go with your personal preference
- Pepperoncini peppers, with juice – if you like your hot beef REALLY spicy, you can use hot peppers
- Giardiniera, optional for serving
Scroll down to the printable recipe card for full measurements.
Kitchen Tools You May Find Helpful
- Instant Pot
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Sharp kitchen knife <– love this Cuisinart set (and it’s super cheap!)
- Meat shredder <– I’ve always been a “two forks to shred” person but meat shredders are a LOT easier (and also a bit more fun!) These are the highest rated ones on Amazon.
How to Make Instant Pot Beef Sandwiches
Place the olive oil in your Instant Pot and set to Saute setting.
Pat the roast dry with paper towel and then season all over with the spices.
Place the roast in the hot oil and sear on all sides, about 2 minutes per side.
Once the roast is fully browned, turn off the Instant Pot.
Add the beef broth and peppers with juice.
Secure the lid on the Instant Pot and select Meat/Stew setting for 60 minutes.
While your Instant Pot is natural releasing, set your oven to broil.
Slice your sandwich buns lengthwise and butter the inside halves.
Place the buns under the broiler, buttered side-up, for 2-3 minutes until lightly browned.
Shred the meat with a meat shredder or two forks.
Layer the shredded meat on your toasted buns. Ladle on some of the cooking liquid and some peppers and optional Giardiniera, if using.
Serve and enjoy!
Grab your free printable for our Instant Pot Hot Italian Beef Sandwich recipe:
- 5 lb roast
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Pinch celery salt
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup pepperoncini peppers, with juice
- Place the olive oil in your Instant Pot and set to Saute setting.
- Pat the roast dry with paper towel and then season all over with the spices.
- Place the roast in the hot oil and sear on all sides, about 2 minutes per side.
- Once the roast is fully browned, turn off the Instant Pot.
- Add the beef broth and peppers with juice.
- Secure the lid on the Instant Pot and select Meat/Stew setting for 60 minutes.
- Natural release.
- While your Instant Pot is natural releasing, set your oven to broil.
- Slice your sandwich buns lengthwise and butter the inside halves.
- Place the buns under the broiler, buttered side-up, for 2-3 minutes until lightly browned.
- Shred the meat with a meat shredder or two forks.
- Layer the shredded meat on your toasted buns. Ladle on some of the cooking liquid and some peppers and optional Giardiniera, if using.
- Serve and enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 611Total Fat: 39gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 227mgSodium: 486mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 0gSugar: 3gProtein: 58g
Sugar, Spice and Glitter uses an auto-generate nutrition calculator. Nutrition information isn’t always accurate unless analyzed in a scientific lab, so these should be considered more of a guideline than medical information.
I hope your family loves this Instant Pot Sandwich recipe as much as mine did! It’s a new favorite – my daughter’s already requested I remake it less than two weeks later!