With the weather getting cooler and mornings getting darker, this Instant Pot Brown Sugar Grits recipe is the perfect Instant Pot breakfast to warm you up and get you ready to face the chilly day ahead.
Instant Pot Grits Recipe
Apparently, there are two camps for grits lovers: savoury or sweet.
People have their opinions as to which way is best, and good luck trying to change them!
Personally, I think there is room enough for sharp, salty cheesy grits and sweet, sugary grits. They both are delicious for breakfast and this recipe makes it super easy to make perfectly tender, fluffy grits for breakfast.
I’ll be sharing my cheesy version soon, but today is all about these brown sugar and walnuts grits, which make such an indulgent treat on a dreary and dull fall morning.
You can make these grits fresh in the morning, or use this as a meal prep recipe.
I tend to do a combination of both as you can double or triple this recipe very easily. I like to enjoy a bowl fresh out of the Instant Pot, and then scoop the rest into mason jars for grab-and-go breakfasts. If using mason jars, I add a scoop of grits, then a sprinkle of brown sugar and walnuts, then repeat until the jar is full. You can then eat the grits cold (which my stepfather prefers) or empty them into a bowl and reheat (which I prefer).
Instant Pot Grits with brown sugar and walnuts are the perfect breakfast comfort food – simple to make, warming, and totally delicious without being too indulgent. Plus, the texture and taste is such a hit with the whole family.
Check out our quick recipe video to see how to make maple brown sugar grits in the Instant Pot – and then don’t forget to scroll down and grab your free printable recipe card:
Ingredients for Instant Pot Breakfast
- Instant-cook Grits
- Brown Sugar
- Cinnamon, optional
- Vanilla extract, optional
- Maple Syrup, for serving
- Walnuts, optional, for serving
Scroll down to the printable recipe card for full measurements.
Tip: feel free to use brown sugar substitutes or milk alternatives for this recipe.
Kitchen Tools You May Find Helpful
- Instant Pot <– I’m so excited to upgrade to this one with air fryer capacities soon! (You can also just buy the lid which adds the air fryer capacity to your standard IP.)
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Wooden spoon <– I like these spatulas because they are one solid piece and don’t have removable heads for bacteria to get trapped underneath. Plus they are heat-resistant and have a lifetime warranty.
- Sharp kitchen knife
How to Make Grits in the Instant Pot
Place the butter in the Instant Pot and select the saute setting.
Once the butter is melted, add the grits and cook for 2 minutes until fragrant.
Add the water and salt, and cover and seal the Instant Pot.
Select manual and cook for 2 minutes. Quick release.
Combine the brown sugar and milk (and optional vanilla and cinnamon), and then stir into the grits. You can serve as-is, or cover and cook again for 2 additional minutes for a creamier consistency.
Serve hot with a drizzle of maple syrup.
Grab your free printable recipe card for our easy instant pot breakfast grits recipe:
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 cups instant-cook grits
- 2 cups water (or more depending on preferred consistency)
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon, optional
- 1 teaspoon vanilla, optional
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup maple syrup, for serving
- 1/2 cup walnuts, optional, for serving
- Place the butter in the Instant Pot and select the saute setting.
- Once the butter is melted, add the grits and cook for 2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the water and salt, and cover and seal the Instant Pot.
- Select manual and cook for 2 minutes. Quick release.
- Combine the brown sugar and milk (and optional vanilla and cinnamon), and then stir into the grits. You can serve as-is, or cover and cook again for 2 additional minutes for a creamier consistency.
- Serve hot with a drizzle of maple syrup.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 311Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 498mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 2gSugar: 28gProtein: 5g
Sugar, Spice and Glitter uses an auto-generate nutrition calculator. Nutrition information isn’t always accurate unless analyzed in a scientific lab, so these should be considered more of a guideline than medical information.
A delicious Instant Pot Breakfast recipe, these Brown Sugar Grits are a tasty alternative to pre-packaged oatmeal and the perfect cozy breakfast on cool mornings.