This homemade baked chicken nugget recipe was sent to me by my friend, Mariah – we’ve since used the recipe to make our Mickey Mouse Chicken Nuggets, so I know it works!
Homemade Chicken Nugget Recipe
When searching for a healthy option for chicken nuggets, you’ll find that there aren’t many out there. I have seen ingredients from sugar, corn syrup and food coloring, to weird chemicals and chicken flavoring in pre-made and frozen varieties of chicken nuggets. Not exactly what most people want to be feeding themselves or their children.
So I set out to figure out how to make a similar chicken nugget at home, and soon found that there isn’t really a way to do it. You aren’t going to get that same crispy texture using real chicken, it just doesn’t happen unless of course you plan on deep-frying them, which is entirely up to you.
The first thing that I realized was that in order to get that texture on the inside, the chicken needed to be turned into more of a mush.
The next thought was literally “ew, I don’t want to touch that!” But I got over it, after some ‘icky’ faces.
This after all, is how all of the other chicken nuggets are made, you just don’t see the process.
Round one was okay, and I was discussing with Jennifer here what she looks for in recipes, she said that it needs to pack the flavor. After she mentioned Dijon Mustard and Paprika, I just knew I had to remake them and taste that delicious combination!
Round two was in fact, delicious! I am not a fan of mustard, but happen to keep some Dijon around just for recipes that call for it.
Ingredients for Homemade Chicken Nuggets
- 1lb Chicken, already cooked
- 1 Egg
- ½ Cup Bread Crumbs
- 2 TBS Dijon Mustard
- ½ tsp Paprika
Side note: You can use any spices that you would like to, but you can’t omit the mustard as it aids in the texture of the nuggets.
How to Make Homemade Baked Chicken Nuggets
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
1. If you need to cook your chicken, do so. Boiling works well. I like to use leftover chicken from other recipes to whip these up.
2. Place your chicken with the rest of the ingredients minus the bread crumbs in a food processor or small blender and blend it until it’s smooth and mixed in well.
3. If you want to wear gloves to touch the mixture, now is the time to put them on. Take the mixture out of the blender or processor and start making little balls with it. Make them equal in
4. Take each ball and flatten it a bit with your hand, roll it around in bread crumbs and place it on a cookie sheet. No need to grease it, but you can use tin foil if you prefer.
5. Bake the nuggets at 350 degrees in the oven for 14 minutes, 7 minutes on each side.
6. Since the chicken was precooked, you do not need to worry about it not being done, but make sure they are to your liking.
Here’s your free printable recipe for healthy, homemade chicken nuggets:
Remember, these are made with real chicken and real ingredients, they are going to be different from the store bought ones in taste and texture, but not in a bad way! If you have never made chicken nuggets like this in the past, it may come as a surprise to you how soft they are.
I tried this with a silicone liner once, don’t do that, they become VERY mushy.
This recipe makes a great freezer meal as well! Once the nuggets are cooled you can store them in a sealed freezer bag for quite some time!
The perfect snack for all ages, easy to make, and healthy!
This homemade chicken nugget recipe is perfect for pleasing picky eaters and still ensuring that what you’re feeding your kids is healthy.