Homemade gazpacho is one of my favorite things to serve in the summer – filling, delicious and you don’t have to touch the stove to make it! This Chilled Watermelon Soup is one of my daughter’s favorites. It’s perfect served with a large Greek salad for a light and healthy summer meal.
Cold Watermelon Soup Recipe
Usually, when I think of soup, I think of savory, comforting flavors that are evocative of fall or winter, but this watermelon soup is a refreshing and unexpected soup that serves as a delightful palate cleanser on a hot summer day.
They used to serve a version of this watermelon soup at Disney’s Grand Floridian hotel, but it has since been replaced with a creamy strawberry soup – which is also delicious, but now we need to get our watermelon soup fix at home!
I add a bit of heat to my soup with freshly minced ginger, and sometimes a bit of chopped jalapeño pepper. My daughter likes it with the ginger but is not a fan of the pepper version. It has a nicely rounded sweet taste that is complimented by the earthy, cooling flavor of the mint, tartness of the lemon juice and the spicy bite of the ginger. You can thicken the soup by adding in some yogurt, if desired.
For this recipe, you want to pick a flavorful, ripe watermelon for the best flavor. You can use traditional red watermelon or yellow watermelon. You can use seedless or seeded watermelons as you will be straining this recipe before serving.
How to Pick a Ripe Watermelon:
- Pick a watermelon that feels dense (or heavy for it’s size)
- Inspect the light spot on the watermelon (where it had been resting on the ground in the field). This spot should be slightly yellow in color.
- Knock on the watermelon. A ripe watermelon will sound hollow while an under- or over-ripe watermelon will sound dull
What to Serve with Watermelon Soup
Our watermelon soup recipe is a wonderful way to refresh on a hot summer day. I prefer to serve it with cold salads, but it would also be great with BBQ.
- Italian Strawberry Arugula Salad with Chicken
- Greek Cucumber Salad
- Cucumber Avocado Salad
- Cucumber Dill Salad with Feta
- Southwestern Steak Salad with Creamy Avocado Dressing
- Cobb Salad
- Classic Waldorf Salad
Watermelon Soup Ingredients
- Watermelon, cubed
- Lemon juice
- Olive oil
- Mint, chopped
- Freshly minced ginger
- Honey, optional
Scroll down to the printable recipe card for full measurements.
Tip: for extra heat you can add a chopped jalapeño. Some people also like adding half a cucumber to their watermelon soup.
Kitchen Tools You May Find Helpful
How to Make Watermelon Soup
Place the watermelon, lemon juice, oil, mint and ginger in a high-speed blender.
Puree for two minutes until smooth. Taste and adjust with honey, additional mint or lemon juice.
Strain the mixture through a fine-mesh sieve before serving.
Garnish with additional mint or a dollop of yogurt, if desired.
Grab your free printable for our chilled watermelon soup recipe:
- 2 cups Watermelon, cubed
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Juice
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Mint, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Freshly Minced Ginger
- 1 Tablespoon Honey, optional
- Place the watermelon, lemon juice, oil, mint and ginger in a high-speed blender.
- Puree for two minutes until smooth. Taste and adjust with honey, additional mint or lemon juice.
- Strain the mixture through a fine-mesh sieve before serving.
- Garnish with additional mint or a dollop of yogurt, if desired.
Add a chopped jalapeno for optional heat.
Garnish with yogurt for an additional tart flavor component.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 84Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 2mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 0gSugar: 5gProtein: 1g
This refreshing watermelon soup is an easy recipe for the kids to help make and a unique way to enjoy watermelon!