Have you ever eaten banana pudding?
It’s one of those desserts that tastes so much better than it sounds. Creamy vanilla pudding with a subtle and natural banana flavour, often served with soft wafer cookies, banana pudding is decadent and delicious.
This month, I wanted to figure out how to make banana pudding a little more portable and a little less messy.
These banana pudding cookie bars definitely fit the bill!
I was a bit stumped at how to convert my healthy banana pudding recipe to cookie form, until I learned that the famous Magnolia bakery uses a boxed banana pudding mix for their own renowned banana pudding.
That made things much easier.
Along with the pudding mix, this recipe also uses vanilla wafer cookies to give a great, chewy, crumbly texture to the banana pudding bars, and I added Ghiradelli white chocolate chips, because I put them in anything I can get away with!
Part of the “trick” to a great cookie bar recipe is to twice bake the “crust” like you would with a pie.
So for this recipe, I mixed melted butter with some of the crushed vanilla wafer cookies and pushed it into a lined 9×13″ baking dish and baked that for 5 minutes while I created the top “layer.” This gives the cookie bars a solid base so they don’t completely fall apart in your hands, without overcooking the rest of the bar which would make it way too hard to eat.
I honestly don’t know who loves these bars more – me or the kids! The awesome thing about making them into bars rather than traditional cookies is that I can control the portion sizes a bit easier — bigger for me, smaller for them!
What do you think? Would you try my banana pudding cookie bar recipe?
PS – I used Jell-O Banana Pudding mix and Nilla wafers, if you’re curious!
Check out these other delicious cookie recipes from my fellow bloggers:
- Cherry and Chocolate Chip Scones from Spiceroots
- Chocolate Andes Mint Chip Cookies from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Chocolate Stout and Pretzel Cookies from Cookie Dough and Oven Mitt
- Flourless Dark Chocolate Espresso Oatmeal Cookies from Rhubarb and Honey
- Gourmet Iced Oatmeal Raisin Cookies from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Hazelnut Espresso Cookies from 2 Cookin’ Mamas
- Lemon Bits Oatmeal Cookies from Our Good Life
- Nibbed Caramel Blondies from What Smells So Good?
- Nutty Bits Cookies from Basic N Delicious
- Peanut Butter Chunk Cookies from Noshing With The Nolands
- Rocky Road Cookies from Upstate Ramblings
- Sour Cream Chocolate Chip Cookies from Magnolia Days
- Strawberry n White Choc Chunk Blondies from Baking in Pyjamas
- Trail Mix Cookies from Holly at A Baker’s House
- Uncle Hector’s 100 Cookies from Food Lust People Love