It is with great hope that I share this easy back to school craft with you. These DIY Washi Tape Pencils are a fun DIY School Supply that kids can customize to their own personal style, while being way cheaper than buying fancy school supplies.
DIY Washi Tape Pencil Craft
Okay, so it’s super annoying that I buy Ella a hoard of new school supplies every year, and then (without fail) one or two months into the school year, she’s completely out of one supply or another.
I think it’s a combination of things – her losing them, lending them to friends, and everyone’s school supplies being pretty much identical.
I could shell out a bunch of money for customized pencils, but this DIY custom pencil craft was an even better solution for us!
Not only were they super cheap to make, Ella loved being able to pick out different colours of mechanical pencils and unique washi tape patterns to make her own “designer” pencils. She even added a matching strip of washi tape to some of her notebooks so she could have a matching set. Of course, her friends love borrowing her pencils even more now – but at least they’re easier to track down!
Washi Tape is made with rice paper and is stronger than clear adhesive tape. It’s not as durable as duck tape, but it also doesn’t leave behind a sticky residue when removed from a surface.
This super easy back to school craft would also make a great teacher gift, or you could make a customized set of pencils (or pens) as a gift for someone who loves to write or journal.
You can use this washi tape decorating method on mechanical pencils like we did, or standard No.2 pencils. If you do use standard wooden pencils, you may want to add a thin layer of mod podge overtop to prevent them from peeling.
We had no issues with the washi tape unravelling during the school year, but by the end of the year most of Ella’s pencils had either gone missing or were in various states of breakdown. A good-quality washi tape will make all of the difference in these pencils lasting the whole year through.
For More Fun DIY School Supplies, Check Out:
- DIY Duck Tape Art Quilt (with Video)
- Knit Pencil Case from Moms and Crafters
- DIY Duct Tape Notebooks from Inner Child Fun
- DIY Flexible Rulers from Moms and Crafters
- DIY Bendy Pencils from Kimspired DIY
Custom Pencil Craft Materials
- Mechanical Pencils
- Washi Tape, multi colors/designs <– this pack is a great deal, 30 rolls for less than 50 cents each!
Tip: you can use this method for decorating pens or No.2 standard pencils.
How to Make Washi Tape Pencils
Take a roll of washi tape and slowly wrap one of the pencils. Try to avoid bubbling or making crinkles in the tape, repositioning as needed.
I left a little bit of the solid color at the top of pencil showing, but you don’t have to.
Make sure you overlap the tape as you work down the pencil, and cut off the excess.
Repeat steps making as many pencils as you like.
Grab your free printable instructions for our easy DIY washi tape pencils craft:
- 1 pkg. Mechanical Pencils
- Washi Tape, multi colors/designs
- Take a roll of washi tape and slowly wrap one of the pencils. Try to avoid bubbling or making crinkles in the tape, repositioning as needed.
- I left a little bit of the solid color at the top of pencil showing, but you don't have to.
- Make sure you overlap the tape as you work down the pencil, and cut off the excess.
- Repeat steps making as many pencils as you like.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.