Slow cooker drinks make entertaining so much easier during the holidays, and this Decadent Slow Cooker Hot Chocolate uses three different types of chocolate to make the chocolatiest, creamiest hot chocolate!
I first shared this Crockpot Hot Chocolate recipe on my friend Amanda’s site.
Slow Cooker Hot Chocolate Recipe
I love entertaining all year round, but especially during the holidays.
I’m not someone who thinks that entertaining should be stressful or busy. I want to sit down and connect with friends – not be flitting back and forth between my guests and the kitchen.
Over the years, I’ve found several small things that make entertaining easier – from easy appetizer recipes that everyone loves to minimizing our clutter so that cleaning up before guests arrive isn’t a daunting chore.
One of the best ways to streamline entertaining is to prepare your drinks in advance, whether you’re preparing a large pitcher of punch (or cocktails) or offering a hot slow cooker drink.
This Slow Cooker Hot Chocolate recipe is so incredibly decadent and chocolate-y; this recipe is actually the result of having several half-full bags of chocolate chips in my baking cupboard and deciding to use them up rather than open up a new bag.
I had dark chocolate chips, milk chocolate chips, and white chocolate chips – how perfect! I also tripled down on the milk, using whole milk, cream and sweetened condensed milk for a rich, creamy hot chocolate. This recipe is so indulgent and has such incredible depth of flavor, everyone is going to love it!
Of course, if you don’t have several bags of chocolate chips on hand or would prefer to just use one type of chocolate chip, this recipe will still turn out delicious!
The only thing to note is that this homemade hot chocolate does not keep well in the fridge. (I found out after I tried saving a couple cups for a friend who couldn’t make it.)
Throw all of the ingredients in the crockpot about an hour and a half before your guests should start to arrive. Once they get in and settled, you’ll be all set to offer them a fresh cup of triple hot chocolate.
Ingredients for Crockpot Hot Chocolate
- Heavy Whipping Cream
- Sweetened Condensed Milk
- Dark Chocolate Chips
- White Chocolate Chips
- Milk Chocolate Chips
- Whipped cream, optional garnish
- Chocolate shavings, optional garnish <– you can purchase pre-made or use a vegetable peeler and a block of baker’s chocolate
- Marshmallows, optional garnish <– we love these super tiny Marshmallow Bits (they also come in rainbow)
Scroll down to the printable recipe card for full measurements.
Tip: swap out the chocolate chips for whatever you have on hand. Milk chocolate? Cinnamon chips? Butterscotch? Go for it!
Kitchen Tools You May Find Helpful:
- Crockpot Liners – I haven’t used these but I have several friends who SWEAR by these for easy clean up
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Wooden spoon <– I like these spatulas because they are one solid piece and don’t have removable heads for bacteria to get trapped underneath. Plus they are heat-resistant and have a lifetime warranty.
- Lots of mugs or cute disposable cups for entertaining
This is the crockpot that I use the most often – it has a thermoshield which not only prevents little fingers from being burned if the kids touch the outside of the crockpot, but it’s also great for bringing along to potlucks. I also like that I can set the cook time on it, so if we end up taking too long playing outside (or running errands) I don’t have to worry about the food burning.
How to Make Slow Cooker Hot Chocolate
Place the milk, whipping cream and sweetened condensed milk in the crockpot and stir well to combine.
Add in the vanilla and chocolate chips and place the lid on the crockpot.
Set the heat to low for 2 hours. Remove the lid and give the mixture a thorough stir every 30 minutes or so. Mine was ready just past 1 hour and 30 minutes, but plan to give it 2 hours in case yours takes longer (you can always set to warm if needed).
Serve with lots of marshmallows and maybe a spritz of whipped cream. (I went all out with whipped cream, mini marshmallows, chocolate sprinkles, and chocolate syrup.)
Grab your free printable for our slow cooker hot chocolate recipe:
- 4 cups milk
- 1 cups whipping cream
- 1/2 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
- Whipped cream, optional garnish
- Chocolate shavings, optional garnish
- Marshmallows, optional garnish
- Place the milk, whipping cream and sweetened condensed milk in the crockpot and stir well to combine.
- Add in the vanilla and chocolate chips and place the lid on the crockpot.
- Set the heat to low for 2 hours. Remove the lid and give the mixture a thorough stir every 30 minutes or so. Mine was ready just past 1 hour and 30 minutes, but plan to give it 2 hours in case yours takes longer (you can always set to warm if needed).
- Serve with lots of marshmallows and maybe a spritz of whipped cream. (I went all out with whipped cream, mini marshmallows, chocolate sprinkles, and chocolate syrup.)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
PME Belgian Milk Chocolate Curls for Decorating Cake Muffin Cupcake Desserts 85g
Reddi-wip Original Whipped Dairy Cream Topping, 13 oz.
Organic Heavy Whipping Cream
Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk, 14 oz
Nestle Toll House, Dark Chocolate Chip Morsels, 10 oz
Ghirardelli Baking Chips, Classic White Chocolate, 11 oz
Nestle Toll House, Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chip Mini Morsels, 10 oz
Crockpot Thermoshield 6 Quart Manual Slow Cooker, Black
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 468Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 20gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 67mgSodium: 129mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 2gSugar: 26gProtein: 10g
Sugar, Spice and Glitter uses an auto-generate nutrition calculator. Nutrition information isn’t always accurate unless analyzed in a scientific lab, so these should be considered more of a guideline than medical information.
This Slow Cooker Hot Chocolate is perfect for cold-weather entertaining, especially if it’s too late for caffeine or you will have a mix of ages present! (Adults can always spike it with some espresso, Bailey’s or Kahlua.)