These reindeer cookies are easy and fun to make as the cookie making season is upon us. Everyone will love these sweet little reindeer at your next holiday get together, or they make a great option for kids to bring for a classroom treat.
So grab an apron and get in the kids’ kitchen!
I’m love with these little reindeer! Imagine my glee when my daughter made the first reindeer with a warm chocolate chip cookie. I spent months creating the perfect chocolate chip cookie and she went and completely upped the ante by adding some cute reindeer details! The end result, I must say, is just to cute to pass up.
No holiday party is complete without holiday cookies. If you have any chocolate lovers in your crowd, try using double chocolate chip cookies! I think I’ll give that one a try for our party in a couple weeks.
So how can kids help with this fun reindeer cookie recipe? Having the ingredients on hand is vital to completing a recipe, so ask them to assemble all the ingredients. Then you’ll know pretty quick if you need to make a run to the store. (Nothing is worse than realizing halfway through a recipe that it calls for 3 eggs and you only have 2!)
Next, have them help with the measuring, cracking eggs, stirring, and spooning out cookies before you take over for the actual oven bit, and then have them help again for decorating.
Without further any further ado on my part, here is our new kids kitchen creation!
- 1/2 cup brown butter
- 4 Tablespoons shortening
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 T molasses
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt (plus extra for sprinkling on top, optional)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-2 Tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 24 Red & 48 Blue M&Ms (or 24 blue and 24 brown)
- 24 Pretzels
- Melt the butter in a pan, but take it just past "melted" so that some of the milk solids start to turn brown. Take off the heat and cool as you prepare your other ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, mix all of the dry ingredients together, and then add half to the wet ingredients. Incorporate fully before adding the second half of dry ingredients.
- Add the chocolate chips -- feel free to add more than one cup if you want LOTS of chocolate, but keep in mind that you are adding on the M&Ms.
- Use a cookie scoop or tablespoon to measure out your cookies onto a lined baking tray.
- Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes until just slightly golden.
- Once removed from the oven, immediately press pretzels into the top of the cookie as you have seen in my pictures. You can also press the M&Ms at this time, or you can attach them using some melted chocolate.
Once you get your fill of these reindeer cookies, check out these other fun holiday recipes from my fellow bloggers:
- Rudolf Pancakes from Nemcsok Farms will put a smile on any kids face Christmas morning!
- For a quick and fun, kids snack check out these Graham Cracker Reindeer from Mom-inspired Life.
- Pack a couple Reindeer Sandwiches from a Spotted Pony while you travel around visiting grandparents this holiday season!