These Chewy Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies are the perfect breakfast cookie recipe for busy mornings.
Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies Recipe
Trying to get my daughter out the door in the morning can be crazy.
Half the week I run a home-based preschool program so my dad drives her, the other half of the week I drive her. Even on the days where I’m not trying to feed breakfast to five other kids, it’s a struggle to get her clean, dressed and fed in an hour while keeping everything positive.
Breakfast has to be appetizing, filling, and sometimes – it needs to be portable.
Smoothies, protein balls and even instant oatmeal in a to-go container – they all help me ensure that she gets some nutrition in the morning before a busy day at school.
Oatmeal is great because unlike cereals, I can scoop it into a to-go container for her if she runs out of time in the morning.
I also experimented and came up with these Healthy Oatmeal Cookies for an even more portable breakfast on the go.
These cookies are just sweet enough to feel like a treat (thanks to mineral-rich maple syrup) with a crunchy exterior and a chewy, cake-like texture that isn’t too dense. Your kids won’t believe you’re letting them having cookies for breakfast – and they will never suspect that they are healthy.
You can also add in whatever mix-ins you like or just choose an instant oatmeal that already has those mix-ins for you.
Check out our quick video to see how to make these cookies – using either instant oatmeal or regular oats – and then don’t forget to scroll down to grab your free printable recipe:
Sugar-free Oatmeal Cookies Ingredients
- Instant Oats <– can use old-fashioned oats
- Whole Wheat Flour <– can use all-purpose flour
- Chia Seeds
- Baking Powder
- Melted coconut oil <– can use melted butter
- Vanilla Extract
- Maple Syrup
Scroll down to the printable recipe card for full measurements.
Tip: you can add chocolate chips or dried fruit – really any mix-ins that will make these cookies more enticing.
Kitchen Tools You May Find Helpful
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Medium-sized mixing bowl
- Cookie Sheet <– you will want two so you can bake one tray while the other is cooling
- Parchment paper
- Cookie scoop
How to Make Instant Oatmeal Cookies
Place the oats, chia seeds and flour in a medium-sized bowl and stir to combine.
Add the cinnamon, salt and baking powder.
Melt the coconut oil or butter and add it along with the milk, give a couple quick stirs, and then add the maple syrup, egg and vanilla. You need to stir in between so the heat from the oil/butter doesn’t start to cook the egg.
Refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes to firm it up.
Preheat oven to 325F
Using a cookie scoop, portion out 1 Tablespoon sized balls of dough on your parchment paper-lined cookie sheet.
Bake for 12-15 minutes until spread and slightly golden brown.
Remove from oven and let cool on the cookie sheet for 10 minutes.
Pin this Easy Oatmeal Breakfast Cookie recipe:
Grab your free printable for our instant oatmeal breakfast cookies:
- 1 cup Miller's Batch instant oats
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 Tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons melted coconut oil or melted butter
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- Place the oats, chia seeds and flour in a medium-sized bowl and stir to combine.
- Add the cinnamon, salt and baking powder.
- Melt the coconut oil or butter and add it along with the milk, give a couple quick stirs, and then add the maple syrup, egg and vanilla. You need to stir in between so the heat from the oil/butter doesn't start to cook the egg.
- Refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes to firm it up.
- Preheat oven to 325F
- Using a cookie scoop, portion out 1 Tablespoon sized balls of dough on your parchment paper-lined cookie sheet.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until spread and slightly golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool on the cookie sheet for 10 minutes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Norpro 679 stainless steel scoop, 56MM (4 Tablespoons)
King Arthur, Whole Wheat Traditional Flour, 5 lb
Bob's Red Mill Organic Chia Seeds, 12-ounce
365 by Whole Foods Market, Organic Pure 100% Grade A Maple Syrup, Dark Color Robust Taste, 32 Fl Oz
Quaker Quick 1-Minute Oats, 18 Ounce Canister
Viva Naturals Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, 16 Ounce
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 51Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 9mgSodium: 84mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 1g
Sugar, Spice and Glitter uses an auto-generate nutrition calculator. Nutrition information isn’t always accurate unless analyzed in a scientific lab, so these should be considered more of a guideline than medical information.