It’s actually embarrassing how quickly we can go through a box of graham crackers.
And if we buy the ones made with real honey instead of the cheap store-brand ones… well, I may be guilty of snacking on them with a cup of tea at nap time.
I wanted to develop a healthy graham cracker recipe as an alternative to store-bought, and what resulted was softer and more flavour-filled graham cracker than any I’ve purchased in a box!
These homemade graham crackers are refined sugar free and mostly uses whole grain flour (with just a smidgen of all-purpose that can be replaced with a reliable gluten-free all-purpose flour blend).
We relied on coconut sugar and unsulfured molasses for the sweetness of our cookies, but honey would work as a delicious substitute for the molasses if you wanted a lighter taste.
These cookies are are absolutely perfect in my 10-minute S’mores Refrigerator Cake recipe, and make a great afternoon treat. I haven’t attempted to send them in Ella’s lunch box yet, so I will report back as to how they hold up with all of that kindergarten rough-and-tumble snack testing.
My healthy graham cracker recipe is inspired by the recipe for graham wafers in the amazing and decadent Flour cookbook by Joanne Chang. (Seriously, how could you not want to eat everything on the front cover of that book?)
I originally tried refrigerating the cookie dough in a loaf pan, similar to how you would make a slice-and-bake cookie, but the dough is too crumbly to cut that way. The best method is to partially roll out the dough, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate, before rolling out completely and cutting with cookie cutters.
- Cream the butter, sugar, and molasses using a mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and cream and continue beating for another minute.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the remaining dry ingredients and slowly add to the wet batter.
- Turn the dough out onto a large sheet of plastic wrap and form into a large rectangle about 1" thick. Refrigerate 30 minutes or overnight.
- When ready to bake, take your dough out 20 minutes beforehand to allow it to soften.
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line your baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper.
- Roll the dough out on a floured surface to between 1/4" and 1/2" thickness. Cut with desired cookie cutters and place on baking sheet 1" apart.
- Bake 15-20 minutes until golden brown and firm to the touch.