Grating soap is also a bit more “shelf stable” than putting out an invitation to grate cheese, and children are more able to keep repeating the work whenever they want to, which is a key aspect in the Montessori Method that often gets overlooked.
Of course, learning to grate soap translates to other grating activities — as Beth explains.
How to Present Grating Soap
- Direct: to develop the movements needed for manipulating a grater;
- Indirect: to strengthen the hand in preparation for writing; independence and concentration.
- a child-sized tray with a slight edge or lip for grasping
- a smaller tray (or cutting board, or wide shallow bowl)
- small grater (or vegetable peeler/shaver)
- bar of Ivory, organic, or other mild soap