Three years ago, Miss G and I had a sweet little park picnic with a good friend and her daughter. I have no memory of what I brought to the picnic, but my friend brought two revolutionary picnic foods: a mason jar salad and no-bake energy bites.
When given the challenge this month of developing a cookie recipe that would be perfect for a picnic, I immediately thought of those delicious and satisfying cookie bites, and I set out to make my own – with a twist!
Of course, I had to add some Nutella to my version. I’ll go ahead and blame my quarter-Italian genetic make-up for that one, but really, Nutella needs no justification.
To appease the healthy eaters among us, I also used a no-sugar, natural peanut butter in this recipe to serve as a binding ingredient, so we’re just using enough Nutella to get that great chocolate-hazelnut flavour.
These Nutella Energy Bites are an easy no-bake cookie recipe for the kids to help with — simply stir the ingredients together with a wooden spoon, roll out balls of the “dough,” refrigerate, and serve.
I like to add a sprinkle of sea salt onto a few of these energy cookie bites, just like with my Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies. (And my double chocolate chip cookies… and tofu chocolate chip cookies… Come to think of it, I’m pretty sure everything tastes better with a sprinkle of sea salt.)
The Creative Cookie Exchange
The theme this month is Pack for a Picnic Cookies–any kind of cookie that sounds great for a picnic! If you are a blogger and want to join in the fun, contact Laura at thespicedlife AT gmail DOT com and she will get you added to our Facebook group, where we discuss our cookies and share links.
You can also just use us as a great resource for cookie recipes–be sure to check out our Pinterest Board and our monthly posts (you can find all of them at The Spiced Life). You will be able to find them the first Tuesday after the 15th of each month! Also, if you are looking for inspiration to get in the kitchen and start baking, check out what all of the hosting bloggers have made:
- Browned Butter Lemon Cookies with Macadamia Nuts from The Spiced Life
- Gingham Picnic Cookies from Food Lust People Love
- Demerara Shortbread Cookies from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Naan Khatai – Indian Shortbread Cookies from Spiceroots
- Potato Chip Chocolate Chip Cookies from Our Good Life
- Key Lime Coolers from 2 Cookin’ Mamas
- Chewy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies from Noshing With The Nolands
- Raisin Biscuits from A Shaggy Dough Story
- Soft Brown Sugar Cookies from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Chocolate Chip Cookies from SimplyVeggies
- Gluten-Free Trail Mix Cookies from Rhubarb and Honey
- Cashew Butter Bites from Magnolia Days
- Blondies from A Baker’s House