I’m trying to rely on my slow cooker at least once a week to help make easy, healthy meals for my family, or the children of Child’s Garden Montessori.
This recent slow cooker chicken pot pie was a huge hit with the kids, and took less than 4 hours from chopping up the vegetables to watching the children devour every last bite.
This healthy twist on a chicken pot pie was super easy to prepare, and though I usually make my own cream of chicken soup, I relied on organic canned cream of chicken soup to help make this meal a bit easier. The flavour of the gravy (and the chicken, and the veggies) was amazing so I’m not sure that I would swap that out when we make this easy slow cooker meal again.
You can swap out whichever vegetables you like in your version, but try to pay attention to the different cooking times for different vegetables. For example, I added the peppers, celery, sweet potatoes, and carrots at the beginning of the cooking time, but the peas were added at the end because they would overcook if left in the slow cooker for over 3 hours!
I also make from-scratch buttermilk biscuits to top each of the bowls of chicken pot pie. You could alternatively use boxed biscuits, top with crackers, or even make a few individual butter puff pastry toppings to stay truer to the original chicken pot pie.
There are other versions of slow cooker chicken pot pies that make biscuits in the slow cooker along with the main meal, but I think those would turn out soft, like dumplings, and I wanted a proper, crispy biscuit.
No matter how you choose to top your chicken pot pie (or if you decide to make a variation and go with slow cooker chicken and dumplings), I guarantee you that this will be a meal that your whole family will love. This recipe should have been enough to feed our crew for two meals – but they all requested seconds (and Ella had thirds).
- 4 chicken breasts or thighs
- 2-10oz cans or cartons of cream of chicken soup
- 4-5 sweet potatoes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 onion
- 2 stalks celery
- 4 carrots
- 1 sweet bell pepper
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup frozen peas
- For the biscuits:
- 2 1/2 all-purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk or cream
- Place your chicken breasts directly into the crock pot.
- Chop up all of your vegetables and add them to the slow cooker, on top of the chicken. (Omit the peas for now.)
- Add the two cans of cream of chicken and chicken broth or bouillon.
- Add water to bring the liquid level to the top of the vegetables, if needed.
- Add the bay leaf and thyme.
- Turn your crockpot on - on the high temperature setting, your chicken pot pie will be ready in approximately 3 hours, on low, approximately 5 hours.
- About half an hour before your meal is done cooking, remove the chicken from the crock pot, shred it into bite-sized pieces, and return it to the pot.
- Add the peas to the crock pot and make the biscuits.
- Stir the dry ingredients together, and cut in the butter until coarse and crumbly.
- Stir in the buttermilk until a wet dough forms, and turn out onto a floured surface. Knead for 1 minute.
- Roll the biscuits to a 1/2 thick round, cut the biscuits out and brush with a bit of milk before baking according to package directions. (Yes, I used a glass, but you could alternatively use a cookie cutter or biscuit cutter.)
- Top each portion of chicken pot pie with a buttermilk biscuit.
What’s your favourite go-to quick meal for your family?
Be sure to check out my other easy, healthy recipes and subscribe for daily recipes, parenting inspiration, and hands-on learning ideas: