One of my holiday indulgences is buying a box of Ferrero Rocher chocolates and slowly savouring them, like Charlie in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, knowing that once that box is empty, it will be another year until I indulge again.
This year, I decided to bring the Ferrero Rocher decadence to a new level by creating a Ferrero Rocher-inspired cupcake!
Ferrero Rocher Cupcake Recipe with Nutella Frosting
These are seriously one of the best chocolate cupcakes I have ever eaten – delicious, moist cake topped with a rich yet not-too-sweet Nutella-based frosting and, of course, a Ferrero Rocher chocolate.
Too often, I find chocolate cake can really lack that rich, chocolate-y flavour and is easily over-shadowed by whichever frosting it is paired with, but this chocolate cake stands out without being over-powering. If you’ve ever doubted whether or not from-scratch cake was worth it, this is the cake to change your mind!
Ever since making our Red Velvet cupcakes with buttermilk, it is a standard chocolate cake ingredient for me. I still go back and forth whether I prefer cocoa powder or melted chocolate in chocolate cake batter, but the cocoa powder is definitely a bit easier, especially if you’re baking with kids.
This frosting is definitely the star of the show, I simply added enough icing sugar to some Nutella to reach the consistency of frosting. Oh, and I added a pinch of good quality sea salt because I can’t make a chocolate recipe anymore without adding it.
CHOCOLATE + SEA SALT = THE STUFF DREAMS ARE MADE OF
You could additionally mix some hazelnuts into the batter, or garnish the cupcake with some after frosting… but I’m not a fan of nuts in soft baked goods (that’s a surefire way to ruin a brownie for me) and I didn’t really like the look of the hazelnuts when I tried sprinkling them over the frosting. To each their own!
Ferrero Rocher Cupcake Ingredients
- All-purpose flour
- White sugar
- Baking powder
- Cocoa powder
- Olive Oil
- Buttermilk <– I always have this powdered buttermilk in my fridge to make instant buttermilk whenever I need it.
- Egg, room temperature
- Vanilla extract
For the chocolate frosting:
- Powdered Icing Sugar, to desired consistency
- Heavy Whipping Cream, if desired
- Ferrero Rocher Chocolates, for garnish
Scroll down to the printable recipe card for full measurements.
Kitchen Tools You May Find Helpful
- Piping bag with star tip <– a basic piping set will have all you need
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Electric mixer<– this is a great hand mixer if you don’t want to make the investment into a stand mixer
- Large mixing bowl
- Vegetable Peeler <– for shaving the chocolate
- Sharp kitchen knife
- Cupcake pan
- Cupcake scoop
- Cooling racks <– I have and love these tiered cooling racks, they save so much counter space and are also oven-safe
How to Make Ferrero Rocher Cupcakes
Preheat oven to 375F and line a muffin tray with 12 cupcake liners.
Beat the oil and sugar together, then add in the egg, buttermilk, and vanilla. Set aside.
Mix the remaining dry ingredients together and then incorporate into the wet batter.
Portion out the batter into the lined muffin tin, filling each liner about 3/4 full.
Bake 18-22 minutes until an inserted toothpick comes out clean and the tops of the cupcakes spring back when tapped lightly.
Cool the cupcakes on a cooling rack as you prepare the frosting.
For the Nutella Frosting:
Add icing sugar and cream as desired to reach your preferred consistency for the frosting. Cream if you want a softer frosting, icing sugar if you want a stiffer frosting.
Wait until the cupcakes are cooled fully before frosting and topping with a Ferrero Rocher chocolate.
Grab your free printable for our Ferrero Rocher cupcakes recipe:
- 1 cup All-purpose flour
- ¾ cup White Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon Sea Salt
- ½ cup Cocoa Powder
- ¾ cups Olive Oil
- ½ cup Buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 12 Ferrero Rocher Chocolates
For the chocolate frosting:
- 2 cups Nutella
- 2-3 cups icing sugar, to desired consistency
- 1-2 Tablespoons cream, if desired
- Preheat oven to 375F and line a muffin tray with 12 cupcake liners.
- Beat the oil and sugar together, then add in the egg, buttermilk, and vanilla. Set aside.
- Mix the remaining dry ingredients together and then incorporate into the wet batter.
- Portion out the batter into the lined muffin tin, filling each liner about 3/4 full.
- Bake 18-22 minutes until an inserted toothpick comes out clean and the tops of the cupcakes spring back when tapped lightly.
- Cool the cupcakes on a cooling rack as you prepare the frosting.
For the Nutella Frosting:
- Add icing sugar and cream as desired to reach your preferred consistency for the frosting. Cream if you want a softer frosting, icing sugar if you want a stiffer frosting.
- Wait until the cupcakes are cooled fully before frosting and topping with a Ferrero Rocher chocolate.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Cake Decorating Supplies Kit for Beginners, Set of 137, Baking Pastry Tools, 1 Turntable stand-55 Numbered Icing Tips with Pattern Chart, Angled Spatula, 8 Russian Piping nozzles-Baking Tools
Cookie Scoop Ice Cream Scoop Melon Scoop 18/8 Stainless Steel with Trigger Cupcake Scoops (#14)
Wilton Excelle Elite 3-Tier Cooling Rack for Cookies, Cakes and More
Nutella Chocolate Hazelnut Spread, Perfect Topping for Pancakes, 26.5 Oz Jar
Ferrero Rocher Fine Hazelnut Chocolates, 48 Count Chocolate Gift Box, 21.2 Oz