Need a quick appetizer? These Spicy Cream Cheese Wontons are sure to please with a creamy filling and just enough spice to make your guest ask for more!
How to Make Spicy Cream Cheese Wontons
I am so excited with how these Spicy Cream Cheese Wontons came out! I have been working on making the filling just right for some time now. I love a little kick to my food, but don’t want it to be so overpowering that I can’t share it with the kids. Sriracha is my all time favorite hot sauce – we keep a huge bottle in the refrigerator as a go-to flavor enhancer – but sometimes a bit of sweet chili sauce is more of a crowd favourite.
I was excited to have my dad over to taste test these for me. Presented on a long plate with a warm, homemade wonton dip these little delights didn’t stay around long.
One quick note about frying food. Be sure you are flying in a pan or dutch oven that is deep enough. If you have a really shallow pan and are working with several inches of hot oil, splatters can really ruin the experience of making this yummy appetizer. Grab a spider strainer to drain each wonton completely.
Don’t be afraid to tweak the cream cheese filling too! What works for my tastes may not be perfect for yours. I know several of my friends have to make two separate batches of cream cheese filling for the spice lovers in their homes. Play around! That’s why I love cooking; There’s no “right” answer. Just good food.
Ingredients for Wonton Filling
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha or Sweet Chili Sauce
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup water
- 24 wonton wrappers
- Vegetable or peanut oil, for frying
Ingredients for Wonton Dip
- Directions for Wontons
- Heat oil in a deep fryer or large dutch oven.
- Combine cream cheese, hot sauce, and green onions in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Combine the egg and water in another small bowl.
- Take half a tablespoon of the cream cheese filling and place it in the center of each wonton wrappers.
- Take a pastry brush or your finger and dip it in the egg mixture. Cover the edges of the wonton wrapper in the egg mixture and then fold it into a triangle, completely covering the cream cheese. Take the two furthest edges of the triangle and pinch them together to make the shape seen in my pictures.
- Fry the wontons in batches (being careful not to overcrowd) until the wonton pastry puffs up and becomes golden brown. Remove the wontons to paper towel and repeat until all are cooked.
- Directions for Dip
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and mix thoroughly. Garnish with green onions or sesame sheets, if desired.
Check out all the yummy side dishes on Study At Home Mama for your next meal.
I especially love the Chickpea Quinoa Salad! Make a double batcha for lunch the next day too.