We don’t live anywhere near a Trader Joe’s so when our little bottle of their Everything But the Bagel Seasoning ran out, the only solution was to figure out a Copycat Everything But the Bagel Seasoning so we could continue adding it to everything!
Everything Bagel Seasoning Recipe
My daughter puts Everything But the Bagel seasoning on everything! She adds it to soups, on toast, sprinkles on scrambled eggs, stirs it into dips, begs for me to add it when making breaded chicken…
I can’t really blame her, though, because that little beige and black seasoning blend is the perfect hit of salty and crunchy with a little acidic tang from the onion and garlic. If you are an everything bagel fan and you haven’t tried this seasoning blend, you need to rectify that – ASAP.
We are having so much fun adding this everything bagel seasoning to a variety of recipes – from pull-apart bread, to cream cheese dips, and even salad dressings and keto everything bagels. I’m a little bit surprised at how versatile it is and how much we’ve found ourselves using it. (I kind of thought it would end up being a novelty purchase when I bought it – now we’re running out of the seasoning well before we’re running out of ideas.)
The best cost savings with this recipe is to purchase your spices from a bulk store, or if that’s not an option, buy the large containers of the individual spices and herbs.
Some of the ingredients are a bit costly (black sesame seeds and good quality flaked salt, in particular) but they are well worth it and the savings do add up if you make this everything bagel seasoning often or end up giving it away as gifts. Garlic and onion flakes can also be referred to as dehydrated garlic and onion.
This everything but the bagel seasoning is shelf-stable for up to a year, as long as you use fresh seeds and spices when you make it and store in a cool, dry spot in your kitchen.
This seasoning is gluten-free, paleo, low-carb and vegan and makes a great homemade gift.
What is in everything but the bagel seasoning? Our everything but the bagel seasoning is made with 7 seasonings: sesame seeds, black sesame seeds, onion flakes, garlic flakes, poppy seeds and sea salt flakes.
Need some inspiration for how to use your everything but the bagel seasoning? Here are some ways to use it:
- sprinkle on scrambled eggs
- add to roasted vegetables
- stir into your favorite veggie dip
- toss with melted butter and pretzels and bake for everything bagel pretzels
- top a homemade loaf of bread with a couple tablespoons
- sprinkle on top of tomato soup
- add to a grilled cheese
- sprinkle on french fries
- add to chicken breading
Honestly, the options are so endless – everything bagel seasoning is surprisingly versatile and a great addition to your kitchen cabinet!
Check out our quick recipe video to see how to make your own homemade everything bagel seasoning – and then don’t forget to scroll down to grab your free printable recipe card:
Everything Bagel Seasoning Ingredients
- White Sesame Seeds
- Black Sesame Seeds
- Dehydrated Onion
- Dehydrated Garlic
- Sea Salt Flakes
Scroll down to the printable recipe card for full measurements.
Kitchen Tools You May Find Helpful
- Measuring spoons
- Mason jars, for storing – I do not recommend plastic jars as they can hold moisture and you want to keep this seasoning mix dry to preserve freshness
How to Make Everything Bagel Seasoning
Measure out your ingredients into a small mixing bowl.
Stir together with a whisk. Taste and adjust, if needed.
Store in an airtight mason jar in a cool spot in your kitchen for up to 6 months.
Grab your free printable recipe card for our everything but the bagel seasoning recipe:
- 3 Tablespoons white sesame seeds
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons black sesame seeds
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons dehydrated onion
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons dehydrated garlic
- 2 Tablespoons sea salt flakes
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons poppyseeds
- Measure out your ingredients into a small mixing bowl.
- Stir together with a whisk. Taste and adjust, if needed.
- Store in an airtight mason jar in a cool spot in your kitchen for up to 6 months.
- 3 teaspoons white sesame seeds
- 2 1/2 teaspoons black sesame seeds
- 2 1/2 teaspoons dehydrated onion
- 2 1/2 teaspoons dehydrated garlic
- 2 teaspoons sea salt flakes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons poppyseeds
(Makes 4.5 Tablespoons)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
I hope your family loves this easy everything but the bagel seasoning recipe as much as mine does!
For more homemade seasonings and other kitchen staples, check out our full collection of homemade pantry recipes here: