The perfect sugar cookie recipe if you’re short on time, these Cake Mix Sugar Cookies are just 4 ingredients and take less than 5 minutes to whip up but still taste amazing!
Cake Mix Sugar Cookie Recipe
Ok, we’ve all been there.
You’re supposed to bring in a dessert to something (classroom party, work event, dinner at a friend’s, etc) but you’re short on time and don’t want to be the one to show up with a store-bought dessert. Or, you’re hosting a party for the kids and have spent so much time cleaning and decorating the house that you’re going to have to cut your food prep time short.
These cake mix sugar cookies are a saving grace for those occasions.
2 minutes to whip up.
Refrigerate, bake and serve.
The result is a sweet, soft and chewy sugar cookie with a slightly crunchy exterior. The crackly top is super cute and these cake mix sugar cookies are tasty enough to be enjoyed plain, or you can dress them up with some buttercream frosting.
Frosting them and adding some sprinkles is a great way to make this cookie recipe work for a variety of holidays or themed parties. (Or if you’re really adventurous, you can add some food coloring to the dough! This set of food coloring has lasted me forever and I love that it creates highly saturated colors with just a drop.)
This method of make sugar cookies with cake mix can be used for any flavor of cake mix you desire! I’d made them all:
- carrot cake sugar cookies
- red velvet sugar cookies
- chocolate sugar cookies
- lemon sugar cookies
I’ve also added chocolate chips, sprinkles, and even stuffed the cookies with everything from maraschino cherries to thin mints – even OREOs. (To do that, just form the cookie dough around whatever you are stuffing them with and bake as directed below.
This is also a great cookie recipe to involve the kids in – my daughter has actually made them all by herself a few times since they are so easy!
Check out our quick recipe video to see how easy these cake mix sugar cookies are to make – and then don’t forget to scroll down to grab your printable recipe card:
Cake Mix Sugar Cookie Ingredients
Scroll down to the printable recipe card for full measurements.
Tip: add in whatever mix-ins you’d like for extra flavor or texture – chocolate chips, nuts, sprinkles, etc.
Kitchen Tools You May Find Helpful
- Electric Mixer <– this is a great hand mixer if you don’t want to make the investment into a stand mixer
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Medium-sized mixing bowl
- Cookie Sheet <– you will want two so you can bake one tray while the other is cooling
- Parchment paper or Silicone Baking Mats
- Cookie scoop
How to Make Sugar Cookies with Cake Mix
In a large bowl, beat together the cake mix, eggs, oil and sugar for 2 minutes.
The ingredients should be well combined and light looking.
Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 1 hour or overnight.
Pre-heat oven to 350°F and line two baking trays with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
Use a cookie scoop to portion out the chilled dough onto your prepared cookie sheets, at least 3″ apart.
Bake for 7-9 minutes, until the cookies are spread, cracked on top and slightly puffed up. They will still be quite pale – you don’t want a golden color.
Allow the cookies to cool for 2 minutes on the baking sheets before removing to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Grab your free printable recipe card for our cake mix sugar cookie recipe:
- 1 box French Vanilla Cake Mix (15 oz)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- In a large bowl, beat together the cake mix, eggs, oil and sugar for 2 minutes.
- The ingredients should be well combined and light looking.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 1 hour or overnight.
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F and line two baking trays with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- Use a cookie scoop to portion out the chilled dough onto your prepared cookie sheets, at least 3" apart.
- Bake for 7-9 minutes, until the cookies are spread, cracked on top and slightly puffed up. They will still be quite pale - you don't want a golden color.
- Allow the cookies to cool for 2 minutes on the baking sheets before removing to a cooling rack to cool completely.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 136Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 165mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 0gSugar: 12gProtein: 1g
Sugar, Spice and Glitter uses an auto-generate nutrition calculator. Nutrition information isn’t always accurate unless analyzed in a scientific lab, so these should be considered more of a guideline than medical information.
I hope your kids love getting to help you make these easy sugar cookies as much as mine does!
For more scrumptious cookies, check out our full collection of cookie recipes here:
For more decadent desserts, check out our full dessert recipe collection here: