This post was sponsored by The Michigan Office of Highway Safety Planning as part of an Influencer Activation for Influence Central and all opinions expressed in my post are my own.
Michigan Booster Seat Safety
There are so many things that divide us as parents, but one thing that we can all agree on is that our children’s safety is our number one priority.
If our children aren’t safe, nothing else matters.
I’m not one to obsess or worry about things that really don’t matter; I strive to do my best as a parent while keeping my sanity intact. I buy good-quality sunscreen, but I’m not about to make it from scratch (okay, I did that once…)
We eat healthy, but I’m not about to bust my budget going all-organic – and I’m not giving up Sunday morning donuts anytime soon, even if they are ticking gluten-sugar bombs ready to send my daughter up the walls at any moment.
But there are certain true safety issues, like car safety, that I don’t take lightly. And thankfully, with most car safety issues, you only need to research and implement suggestions every couple of years.
When the Michigan Office of Highway Safety Planning reached out to me with some statistics on booster seat use in Michigan, I was shocked and concerned – and immediately agreed to be a part of their efforts to spread awareness about booster seat safety.
Michigan children ages 4-5 have a low rate of booster seat use at only 49.7%. That means the other 50.3% are not in booster seats!!
Research suggests that parents simply underestimate the risks or are unfamiliar with child passenger safety best practices.
So let’s set the record straight:
Michigan Booster Seat Safety Facts
- If your child is under 4’9”, they’re not tall enough to ride in the car without a booster seat. No matter how grown up they seem. Adult seat belts don’t fit or protect children shorter than 4’9” the way they should.
- Booster seat use reduces the risk for serious injury by 45 percent for children aged 4–8 years when compared with seat belt use alone. For older children and adults, seat belt use reduces the risk for death and serious injury by approximately half. However, with adults especially, you need to do more than get your seatbelt safely on, as you’re also exposed to other dangers your child may not face. For example, you may be at an increased risk of hip and knee injuries because of your long legs. When you slide your seat forwards or backward, for example, you tend to make readjustments to your hips and knees’ positioning. If your knees are not level (or even lower) than your hip position during such an adjustment, you may put your hips at risk of injury. Indeed some hip injuries may require hip replacement surgery. How long does hip replacement surgery take? It could be about one and a half hours.
Booster seats are inexpensive and there are models that are convenient for bringing on vacation. They are also incredibly easy to install and move from car to car, when necessary.
I even have two extra booster seats in my car at all times in case we want to offer a friend a ride, or pick up a friend. Absolutely no one under 4’9″ sits in my car without a booster seat – I would never forgive myself if anything were to happen to a child in my care, and that includes riding in my car.
Keeping our kids safe in cars is super simple and you can get some great tips from the Michigan OHSP Website.
And please, share this post or the Michigan OHSP Website with your friends and family. People just do not understand the risks – and taking a few minutes to learn about booster seat safety can mean the difference between a child being protected in an accident, or sustaining potentially fatal or life-altering injuries.
Pin this post to spread the word: