We had a miserable rainy day last week. It wasn’t miserable because of the rain, but the rain did stop us from getting outside and cheering up a bit.
We abandoned all work for the day and declared it a crafts & play day, which you just need every once in a while. I set out this simple fine motor craft and the kids loved it!
This easy Spring flower craft for kids only requires a few supplies and you can really change things up based on what you have on hand.
Materials We Used for Our Spring Flower Craft
I made one pipe cleaner flower with the children, and then left them to it. I loved seeing the variety of flower configurations that they came up with; and they actually went and gathered the ribbon left over from our Fairy Godmother craft to add “bows” to their finished flowers.
What I love about this Simple Spring Flower Craft for Kids
1. Children need to be precise and gentle yet firm when working with their materials.
If they are too rough, they will rip the cupcake liners, but if they are not firm (and confident), they won’t be able to penetrate the pipe cleaner through the liner’s paper.
2. By using “non craft materials” they were encouraged to rethink how they perceived a simple cupcake liner (object fixedness).
3. The children engaged their fine motor muscles in a variety of ways:
- lacing beads onto the pipe cleaners
- poking the pipe cleaners through the liner
- tying knots or bows with the ribbons
4. It was an open-ended craft while having a common theme so we were able to combine all of these beautiful and unique flowers in one vase at the end to make a beautiful display of how individual efforts within a group can make a big impact.
Next time, I think I’ll add scissors to the mix so that the children can alter their cupcake liners to have different shapes or to make “petals,” but I’m glad I didn’t include them this time so the focus was really on the fine motor skills of lacing, poking the pipe cleaner through the liners, and tying knots.