One of our post popular posts on Sugar, Spice & Glitter is our 40 Mom-Daughter Date Ideas for Every Budget, and I’ve been itching to create a list of grandmother-granddaughter dates, too.
While many of the activities in my Mom & Daughter post would be great for a grandmother and granddaughter, my mom has a very different personality than me. We have different interests and like doing different things with Miss G, so I catered this list more to her liking.
Be sure to check out both lists for a wide assortment of fun activities to do with kids – no matter your budget.
So, without further delay, here are my mom & Miss G’s favourite picks for 40 Grandmother-Granddaughter Dates for Every Budget.
Free Grandparent Activities
- Visiting a park
- Nature walk or hike
- Doll or bear tea party
- Nature crafts
- Baking – maybe a special family recipe?
- Share special memories from your childhood – look through a photo album
- Sleepover party
- Teach a special skill
- A special craft to “keep them little”
Grandparent Activities under $10
- Swimming at the local pool or splash pad
- Hot chocolate at a local bakery
- Visit to the book store to pick out a special book (maybe one from the grandparent’s own childhood)
- Themed movie night – menu, crafts, and decor surrounding a special movie
- Teaching them a classic board or card game
- Bring them to one of your “stomping grounds” and show them off – church, golf club, favourite cafe, etc.
- Visit an art museum
- Spa night or home pedicures
- Get together to make a craft for mother’s day or father’s day
- Visit a local farm – there’s berry picking, apple orchards, cheese tastings, petting zoos, etc.
Grandparent Activities under $50
- A visit to the beach (this may be in another category for you, but for us it’s at least $15 in gas to the beach)
- A night at the movies
- Attending a child-friendly theatre performance
- Sharing a favourite hobby (maybe setting them up with some starter materials)
- Special lunch date
- Bowling (I loathe bowling so this works out well for me!)
- Make a shadow box from a special event or to celebrate a birthday
- Local event – county fair, summer concerts
- Concert tickets to a children’s performance (my daughter has been treated to Sharon, Lois & Brahm, the Wiggles twice, and Fred Penner by her grandparents)
- Explore a local town, go for a half-day road trip
Grandparent Activities under $100
- Membership to a local children’s museum
- Membership to a monthly craft or activity box, and doing it together
- Groupon vacation – sometimes you can get a great deal, my parents have been able to snag Great Wolf Lodge passes
- Theme park day
- Visit a zoo
- Research and donate to a charity in your grandchild’s name
- Or, sign your grandchild up for a continuous donation – like a “sponsor a child” program where they will have a pen pal and sustained relationship to charitable giving
- Water park day
- Special dinner and a movie night out
- Be tourists for a day – hit up all of the attractions your grandchild may have missed out on
What are your favourite grandparent-granddaughter date ideas?